Second Skin Audio

HDC4 15 Wall Help

I am starting to design a wall for 2 hdc4 15s in my 2001 4 door blazer. I would really like to use 8" aero ports if it works out how I want it. I need to keep the width at 38" so it fits between the wheel wells, and can be no taller than 29.75" tall, but the depth can increase as needed.

In order for me to get the desired tuning I want, I can only use 2 8" ports, at 17" long. I am worried that this wont be enough port for them. Does this seem like enough? The pic below is what I came up with for a box design. Please let me know if it seems ok. I would like to keep volume around 8.5 cubes, and tuning around 35hz

Thank you!

hdc4 15 box test.png

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

Depends on how much power you are running.  

Here is a port area calculator that might help: https://goo.gl/STAv4p

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

7 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Depends on how much power you are running.  

Here is a port area calculator that might help: https://goo.gl/STAv4p

Oh yeah, probably should have put what I would be running. At first it will be on a sq 3500 and 1 ohm. Then later on will be on 2 3500's at .5 each. 

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

Thinking a slot port may be a better option. And instead of a wall, having sub up/port back. How does the box I came up with below look? Has closer to recommended port area. 

http://s556.photobucket.com/user/tyholewinski/media/4AF6E116-281B-4C3E-A77D-35DF891C6A5C.png.html]4AF6E116-281B-4C3E-A77D-35DF891C6A5C.png[/URL]

http://s556.photobucket.com/user/tyholewinski/media/F3381EAD-042C-4576-8F55-DD058DB8CAEF.png.html]F3381EAD-042C-4576-8F55-DD058DB8CAEF.png[/URL]

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

8.5 cubes is on the small side for 2 15's on only 1 3500, but then when you add the other 3500 it will be too big. Also, I would go with a slot in a larger application like this. You can get the port area to right where you want it while with the aero's it either hit or miss. 

I was trying to go for a happy medium with volume. I know it's a bit small for the 1 3500. But I was trying not to have to re build once I got a second amp. Should I go up to a little over 9 cubes and then re build once I get a second amp?

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

25 minutes ago, Mr DeeBeez said:

I was trying to go for a happy medium with volume. I know it's a bit small for the 1 3500. But I was trying not to have to re build once I got a second amp. Should I go up to a little over 9 cubes and then re build once I get a second amp?

If you are going to be running 7000 watts eventually I'd suggest you build the box to accommodate that from the beginning so you don't have to rebuild later.  Its not going to make much difference in performance when you are running on lower power in the beginning.  

Here is my suggestion:

Capture.thumb.PNG.6ee79c3f2387cf21df8ba1297c8e7218.PNG

I noticed in box calculator pictures you posted it looks like you have the port along the bottom.  I don't really like ports along the bottom because they usually have a really high aspect ratio, which makes them inefficient.  I think you need a lot more port area as well.  My suggestion is to run the port along the side, but still have it firing out the back.  This makes for a much lower aspect ratio port. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Thank you for your suggestion. Would it matter which side of the box I put the port on? What side would you suggest?

or would you suggest putting the port in the middle?

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

And I'm not trying to not pick the design or anything, but what is the reasoning for so much port area? On Andrew's write up for optimum enclosure specs for hdc4 15's, he says about 17 sq inches of port. I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind wanting more. 

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

12 minutes ago, Mr DeeBeez said:

And I'm not trying to not pick the design or anything, but what is the reasoning for so much port area? On Andrew's write up for optimum enclosure specs for hdc4 15's, he says about 17 sq inches of port. I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind wanting more. 

To decrease on port noise and other things. He has a whole write up about it and also a port calculator. Although, I've always done pretty good on the 12-17 per cube rule of thumb. 

Archived