Sundown Audio

Alright guys so hopefully someone can help me, I know some about 4th orders but I have a friend here that wants one done for his 2 Sundown X-12s. Now i understand the ratios but my question is if i need 5ft3 which is recommended for ported. Now if I do like 2:1 ratio that means i do 5ft3 ported and 2.5ft3 sealed correct? Just wanna make sure I don't screw up this ya know. And if that is correct then I do the ported section exactly like a normal ported box? If anyone would help that would be awesome! Thanks!

Forget everything you have learned about ratios.  They are wrong as often as they are right.  You are much better off designing the chambers independently of each other based on what you need the box to do.  

How much power is your friend going to be running?  That will determine how big you can make the sealed chamber.  

What kind of bandwidth does your friend want to get?  What are the goals for the system?  That will determine the size and tuning of the ported chamber.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

7 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Forget everything you have learned about ratios.  They are wrong as often as they are right.  You are much better off designing the chambers independently of each other based on what you need the box to do.  

How much power is your friend going to be running?  That will determine how big you can make the sealed chamber.  

What kind of bandwidth does your friend want to get?  What are the goals for the system?  That will determine the size and tuning of the ported chamber.  

Alright well he's gonna be pushing around 1500watts and like around 30hertz to 50hertz ya know I don't really know how far the band width goes so I don't want a gap in between tho. He just tired of hearing lows but he wants to have more "variety". He wants to keep his lows but still have high end. 

1 hour ago, Colby88 said:

Alright well he's gonna be pushing around 1500watts and like around 30hertz to 50hertz ya know I don't really know how far the band width goes so I don't want a gap in between tho. He just tired of hearing lows but he wants to have more "variety". He wants to keep his lows but still have high end. 

So a fourth order bandpass box lets you trade bandwidth for efficiency.  So to get the wider bandwidth your friend desires he is going to have to give up a lot of output.  My suggestion would be a parallel-tuned 6th order bandpass.  You friend would keep the low frequency output he is used to, but he would get a big boost  up higher for a much wider bandwidth.  

For specs I'd suggest 5 cu ft @ 28 Hz for the rear chamber and 2.5 cu ft at 55 hz for the front chamber.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

1 hour ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

So a fourth order bandpass box lets you trade bandwidth for efficiency.  So to get the wider bandwidth your friend desires he is going to have to give up a lot of output.  My suggestion would be a parallel-tuned 6th order bandpass.  You friend would keep the low frequency output he is used to, but he would get a big boost  up higher for a much wider bandwidth.  

For specs I'd suggest 5 cu ft @ 28 Hz for the rear chamber and 2.5 cu ft at 55 hz for the front chamber.  

Alright well I know what 6th order is but what is parallel-tuned? And for this 6th order I am doing it just like 2 ported box together? 

2 hours ago, Colby88 said:

Alright well I know what 6th order is but what is parallel-tuned? And for this 6th order I am doing it just like 2 ported box together? 

A parallel-tuned 6th order has both chambers firing to outside the box, a series-tuned 6th order has one chamber firing its port into the other chamber and then that second chamber fires to outside the box. 

Builds:

1 hour ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

A parallel-tuned 6th order has both chambers firing to outside the box, a series-tuned 6th order has one chamber firing its port into the other chamber and then that second chamber fires to outside the box. 

So literally 2 ported boxes glued together? 

1 hour ago, Colby88 said:

True haha. Well let me ask y'all one more question. If a ported box gets you the most output then why does 2 "ported boxes" together not do the same?

The parallel-tuned box should pretty much perform identical on low frequencies to ported box with a similar box specs as the low chamber. So with a 5 cu ft low chamber tuned to 28 Hz the 6th order should be like a ported box with 5 cu ft tuned to 28 Hz.  At higher frequencies the 6th order is going to have more output than a ported box because of its second chamber. 

Builds: