Sonic Electronix

Im really curious if you guys were going to build a van with a big setup (160+) for demos, to be musical around town etc.  The van has to look good and still be very very driveable.

What type of van would you use  and why?

Also would like to know what your favourite vans are that are currently competing or have in the past?  Favourite by looks, favourite by their setup, or favourite because a mixture of both.

The more pics the merrier....

Thanks for your time

BUILT NOT BOUGHT
********LOOKING FOR NEW GROUND POUNDER TO BUILD********

1981 Malibu Wagon - Iron Block LS, Single Turbo, Nitrous, 6 Speed, Pump Gas, street car. --UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Goals are to make 1000 rwhp and 9 second quarter mile

1997 Explorer 157.8. Street C 2nd place 2007 San Mateo dbdrag world finals. (totalled)

The color of that Malibu Wagon reminds me of my old 72 pickup.  It was Omaha Orange.  Standard GM color for the 71 model year.

So no Burbans/SUVs?  Just vans?

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Heres a couple that come to mind.

I love any astro/safari with the phantom grille.  Some say theyre a bit played out but I love it still.  Heres a couple awesome examples.  Scottie Johnsons old van and of course Rustys newest encarnation of his van.

Scottie-7.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg
Geoff Cayumburgh (sorry I fucked your name up royally lol) with the astro with escalade front clip who dominated SM3-4 9 or 10 years ago.  Cant find pics of it yet.

Of course...Steve Cooks van is probably the #1 most impressive van ever except for it surely wouldnt be a daily driver.  But considering how long his record stood for, despite the huge advances in technology.  Major props to that guy.  Beautiful van.
stevecook.jpg

BUILT NOT BOUGHT

1981 Malibu Wagon - Iron Block LS, Single Turbo, Nitrous, 6 Speed, Pump Gas, street car. --UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1997 Explorer 157.8. Street C 2nd place 2007 San Mateo dbdrag world finals. (totalled)

9 minutes ago, WalledSonic said:

The color of that Malibu Wagon reminds me of my old 72 pickup.  It was Omaha Orange.  Standard GM color for the 71 model year.

Im making another post right now...for SUVs and trucks.. Gimme 5 minutes.  Thanks

BUILT NOT BOUGHT

IDK about daily... but this full size van is very well put-together.  Not really flashy, either, but the install and wiring job is quality.

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

20 minutes ago, WalledSonic said:

thanks for the compliment.  This car is my pride and joy.  Which is an odd thing to say about a station wagon built in 1981 lol.
As for the color a friend was building a mini truck with center drive, gullwing doors, etc back in 2003 and when it came time for paint he tried to get the code for the orange that comes on the Lamborghini Gallardo in particular.  We went through a whole bunch of un necessary crap because we couldnt get the paint code from lamborghini bc it was so new.  Eventually we did get it right....
So the car is actually a Lamborghini orange that is one of their most sought after colors...and now costs a shit-ton.  Ive heard its a $14000 option.  
The colour itself is known as "ARANCIO BOREALIS PEARL".  Its a decent colour, but in sunlight its fucking amazing.  Ive never been a bright paint scheme type guy and Im still not.   But this colour just works extremely well on this car.  Which on a giant rectangular station wagon, the paint will make or break you...along with the wheels and stance.  Its worked out quite well.
Originally my plan was to use that for my groundpounder build...but I think it would be safer to use something which was designed to carry a load.  And then I can use the wagon for peppy little streetcar.  Upwards of 1000rwhp.
Quick pic for reference. 
wagon_grass8.jpg

BUILT NOT BOUGHT

That wagon looks sick man.  Definitely one of a kind.  I have a soft spot for classic Chevys.

IG @walledsonic

Heres another one that I like....although Ive had my differences with the owner. Particularly that I think some of his SPL claims were complete bullshit.  But regardless I love the van because its different than the average astro or caravan.  Plus its a regular ported setup too.
mqdefault.jpg
3733e0e872ec019b81c4b36b7caa93ea.jpg

BUILT NOT BOUGHT

Finally found the pic I had of Geof Cayemberg's astro with the escalade from end.  Ive never seen this in person, but from what Ive heard its absolutely immaculate.  Both the van aswell as the build.  And the SPL score is a reflection of that.
55306b3.jpg

And of course Bob Perillo old van...which ive heard some pretty silly scores in testing but unfortunately couldnt quite replicate them in the lanes.  (AAHHHMM 170 burp ahhmm).
I love this because not only is it driveABLE...but he infact did drive it everywhere.  So....the econoline style vans (particularly the new ones) will be something that I certainly look into if I stick with a van for my build.  Id love to be able to rely on a turbo diesel to get the thing moving.
DSCF1680.jpg
soundcomp006.jpg
PA060139.jpg

BUILT NOT BOUGHT

Archived