Quick question - first time use

First off shout out to SMD for your efforts with the DD1 and dumbing down the amp tuning to a more consumer based everyday audio enthusiast.

First post!

After reviewing and reading the instruction booklet of the DD-1 and giving it a shot tuning my 4 channel amp. I cannot find distortion on my headunits output, all the way up to the decks max of 35/35. It is a kenwood ddx794 w/5v rca preouts (if that matters).

The signal comes on I get the 1khz and 40hz lit up appropriately but apparently the deck doesn't distort? is that possible? 

I am using the tool with both probes in the speaker output terminals + and - as the instructions state. The leads that are included with this DD1 are pretty much voltmeter leads, I see in some videos the ground is an alligator clip and is being grounded, and not to the speaker - terminal.

Do I need to ground it?

Otherwise the tool works great and worth every penny, and the gains are ALMOST where I had them prior to using the DD-1.

THANKS!

Working on a mediocre system for my 2013 2500HD

Here's a quick way to test things.  Go into the headunit eq, and jack one of the bands up,  like turn the 1k band up to +9. Does the dd1 detect distortion when playing the 1k test tone? 

That being said,  I've personally has good luck with the Excelon headunits; as far as signal distortion is concerned.