Sundown Audio

Sundown scv4000.1 getting very hot

disprovable

I just got my new setup installed and in the car, and when running full tilt for 25-30 mins I check my amp and it's scorching hot. Here's a rundown of my current electrical setup:

mechman 270 amp alt

big 3 done in SHCA oversized OFC 0 gauge.

SHCA pos and neg run from front battery to rear battery

xs d3400 under the hood

xs d7500 in the rear

SHCA from rear batt to pos and neg on amp

any ideas why my amp May be getting so hot? It will get to the point of going into protect..

Clipping will put heat in an amp really quick. Double check the sub wiring. How many ohms do you have it wired to?

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Impedance is too low or gain is too high.

Also, a 4k is going to generate a lot of heat, so define hot, have you measured the temp?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Don't run it till it protects again until you check some things for us.  Also, did you install this yourself?

#1 What is voltage at amp before and during running it full tilt??  How many amps is it pulling?

#2 verify OHM load, running under amp ratings will make it hot.

#3 Gain is not set correctly and you are clipping it to hell and back.  How did you set gain?  What is LPF set at?  What is Infrasonic filter set at?

#4  It is a good idea to measure temp but if it's getting so hot that it protects then clearly it's too hot, however are you sure it's because of heat?

#5 Make sure all connections are tight, especially grounds.  If you don't have fuses in I would install them if I was you...

Out of curiosity what subs?  Where is amp located?  Like can the heat dissipate off of it well where it's located?  Was the amp brand new?  

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

9 hours ago, Karkov said:

Don't run it till it protects again until you check some things for us.  Also, did you install this yourself?

#1 What is voltage at amp before and during running it full tilt??  How many amps is it pulling?

#2 verify OHM load, running under amp ratings will make it hot.

#3 Gain is not set correctly and you are clipping it to hell and back.  How did you set gain?  What is LPF set at?  What is Infrasonic filter set at?

#4  It is a good idea to measure temp but if it's getting so hot that it protects then clearly it's too hot, however are you sure it's because of heat?

#5 Make sure all connections are tight, especially grounds.  If you don't have fuses in I would install them if I was you...

Out of curiosity what subs?  Where is amp located?  Like can the heat dissipate off of it well where it's located?  Was the amp brand new?  

I'll have to check the voltage when I get off work. I'll also double check the ohm load. The gain was set by a shop with an oscope and CD. I'm 90% sure it's protecting because of heat it's very hot like if you leave your hand there you will get bad burns. I have 3 fuses. I'm running 2 zv4 12s. Amp was brand new when purchased. It is in an enclosed area so it'd probably be hard to dissipate. 

Archived