SMD VM-1 in 2007-2013 Chevy Dash?

Haven't actually got my hands on the VM-1 I ordered just yet but I'm starting to think about where to mount it in my 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 6.2. I searched around a bunch and have seen some people who fit the VM-1 in the gauge cluster o the older chevys. Looks pretty similar. I'm thinking about replacing my stock voltage gauge in the top right corner of the cluster with the VM-1. Think it can be done? Will it fit? Has anyone done this on a 2007-2013 Chevy or gmc or have any good info on it. Doesn't look too hard. I'm also wondering if it will maybe fit in one on of the blank square spots on either side of the radio. Maybe I could stick it in there right behind some smoked plexi or something? 

Its your rig bro. Get creative. Brent Levitt has a really rad rig. One of the nicest over all installs ive ever eyeballed. He put it in the dash, in the OEM volt gauge spot. Looks rad. Its all up to you man. Let us know/see what you come up with. Have a beer, and put your thinking cap on, and do something easy, or involved, custom fiberglass pod, somewhere in the OEM dash cluster,.. or whatever.  Either way, let us see what ya choose/do. Good luck man. 

Again, i wish i had that very platform to work off of. I see a camper shell, walk through, with 3 alts, and several (16 - 12s in a large band pass) drivers, many mids in the doors. Lowered, and clean as fuck. Wish i had that very rig sitting in me and kennys shop getting worked on as i type. Good luck man. 

KB

Steve's son has it right on his main dash as well by the gauges but it's an older Tahoe.  Trust me i am in the same boat as you, seems these years of Chevy's don't have a great spot for them like the older ones unless you get creative and do some customizing.  I am in the same boat as you.  I have moved mine to different locations, usually never permanent but it always looks like it doesn't belong.  best of luck, I'm curious what you come up with

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

I got my hands on the meter tonight and played around with it temporarily hooked up in the truck.  This meter is awesome and super fast and accurate.  Find the right spot for it in my truck is going to be tough though.  My first observation is its too bright for me at night time.  I really like my lights all dim for night vision, something Im used to since I work on tugboats and ships haha.  Ive had this problem in the past with bass knobs too.  This will have to be remedied with some smoked plexi somehow or possibly a small piece of light window tint Im thinking.  The meter fits almost perfectly in the spot by my right knee where the trailer brake controller goes, that I never use haha.  But mounted there by my left knee is too low to comfortable look at and also too low of a viewing angle to read the gauge.  I also noticed you have to be right in line with this meter to read it correctly.  It also fits perfectly in the right side cubby below and to the right of the headunit, but the viewing angle is too far off there for the driver.  I really dont want to hack up the dash too much in this truck, just not a great place for it, but Im going to keep brainstorming as I really want to use this meter.  Looks like it would fit well in the instrument panel where the stock volt meter is, but not sure if I want to hack that up either and I dont have a way to dim it.  Id sure like to see the option for a dimmable VM-1 :)  Ill report back as I figure things out. 

Same here, i dont like bright lights in my view when driving at night. I try to keep it dark as possible, even turning all the instrument panel lights on the lowest setting. So my plan for my gauges is going to be customizing my flip down mirror/visor. Im going to install the meters into the visor so its hidden and when i "want" to observe and keep and eye on it i can flip it down and its right there in perfect view. Hacking up some visors wouldnt be as worrisome as hacking up dash panels. 

• 2 months later...

If your truck isn’t a 4x4 there is a nice spot for it to the left of the ac controls. Might put one in the little cubby thing to the right of the ac controls. Nothing a little epoxy, kitty hair, filler, and glazing putty can’t fix. ?

cant wait to see your rig finished man. 

Team Bass-Hz

screenshot5-1.jpg

Archived