Large Speaker Manufacturers and TS Parameters

I dont look at numbers, im the type of idiot that just blows money on stuff and i decide whether or not i like it afterwards, it goes about 50/50 for me, lol.

I get what you're saying though.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

About your comment that TS params change during use: that is a very true reality.  So I dont expect exact numbers, but it would be nice to know a general range of where the numbers should sit.

I just tested (4) 8's that I recently purchased new from a manufacturer, and Fs is measuring 49Hz on all 4.  Website says 35Hz. I cant imagine the Fs dropping 14Hz after breakin, so I will definitely pull these after some use and see what they measure after 20 or more hours of heavy use.  Some of the other values varied quite a bit from advertised, also.  I think its important to keep the manufacturer honest, so I will forward the test results back to them.  Im interested to see what kind of response I receive.  

My cheap Pioneer 12's that I bought 15 months ago are measuring quite well after a thorough break-in, I am pleasantly pleased with Pioneer's supplied values.  Cheap frikkin sub, spot on values, performs well for a 600W sub. 

Pulling my 15s soon for a rebuild, so I'll be comparing those values, also.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

I'm sure you will see the Fs of those 8"s drop after they get well broken in, but I agree 14 hz is a long ways to be off.  I'll be curious to see what they end up at.

My understanding is a 10% variation in parameters between subs of the same model is pretty normal.  Though I'm sure a lot of subs are a lot more consistent than that.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

7 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

I'm sure you will see the Fs of those 8"s drop after they get well broken in, but I agree 14 hz is a long ways to be off.  I'll be curious to see what they end up at.

My understanding is a 10% variation in parameters between subs of the same model is pretty normal.  Though I'm sure a lot of subs are a lot more consistent than that.  

But sometimes they might make a switch on parts and not update the info so that could make the discrepency in the advertised vs the actual specs even larger.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Just now, Broke_Audio_Addict said:

But sometimes they might make a switch on parts and not update the info so that would make the discrepency in the advertised vs the actual specs even larger.

Very true.  Though my thoughts on that are if the manufacturer is going to make a change that results in that much of a difference in the parameters, they should indicate that by changing the model number (or Rev or whatever).  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived