Second Skin Audio

Advice-trunk build

Hey all,

Its been a few years since I've messed with any audio. Looking to get back into it with my daily driver. I wanted to see what everyone's opinion is on trunk enclosures. Here is the rundown:

2005 Acura TL

2 DC lvl4 12's

DC 3500

Looking to tune around 32hrtz

The back seat does not fold down, however the arm rest is cut out so air can vent into the cabin. In years past I have has success with building a center firing slot ported enclosure and aim the port directly at the arm rest hole. My issue here is, a little less room for the enclosure itself. I won't be able to make the port as big as I want to in order to get the tuning I'm after. My thought was to go 15sq on the port, and build the box at 4.00' after displacement.

Thank you in advance for your input!

Xterra * 69 Camaro * Audi S5

36 Ford * 51 Mercury 

looking for wire sponsor :) 

www.flyracing.com

Well all I can say is have fun! Lol I'm running a DD 9518 on a DD m2a in 7 cubes net with 2 flared 6" aero's through the rear deck in my 05 TL.

Going for 4-5 net and 12s shouldn't be nearly as bad though.

The way our cars are made, I'm gonna recommend forward fire, and seal the box from the trunk

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

I'm going to check out your build log. I was planning to do forward firing and sealed from the trunk. My big question to anyone whos familiar with that style, is does it matter a lot that the port is in line with the arm rest? Or would it work just the same with the port on the drivers side etc. (still forward firing)

36 Ford * 51 Mercury 

www.flyracing.com

You don't want the port to be blocked by the seat, so at least a ports width away from the seat. You might look at porting through the stock sub hole. Can fit a 6" aero easy. 8" with some cutting.

I had 2 15s IB, then 1 18 IB before this. With the 2 15s I lost some output when I put the back seat back in. The 18 lost just a hair, cause it was angled so far to fit height wise.

This ported 18 setup sounds the same with or without the back seat in.

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

I wanted to stay away from porting through the stock sub hole, but might have to. I've had good luck in the past with similar set ups where I would slot port in the middle, forward firing, Tune the air space between the box and the arm rest hole and it worked extremely well. Removing the back seat is out of the question. My big thought though was instead of slot porting in the middle, doing one slot port on the drivers (or passengers) side so that I can make the port length longer. Still tuning the frequency with the space between the enclosure and rear seat. I'm not really concerned about it being extremely loud. But whats the point in building your own set ups and spending money if its not going to rock 32hrtz right? lol

36 Ford * 51 Mercury 

www.flyracing.com

Lol yea, I have never tried doing it like your talking about. Could always try a 4th or 6th order, might not have enough port area with just the ski pass opening though. If you haven't done it yet, remove the fold down plastic piece of the ski pass, it makes the opening much larger and you can fold the arm rest up to still block the hole to hide everything if needed.

You could always try a box the way your thinking, and go from there. Just hard to predict the outcome. Btw I broke my windshield today on a full tilt song that dips down to 25hz. So plan some roof bracing. Also what are your plans for electrical upgrades?

05 TL build log SOLD

Thanks. I hadn't removed the plastic around the ski hole yet but I will. The car is pretty much a virgin as far as the audio goes. Minus the double din I installed. Plans for electrical are two Northstar NSB170 batteries, two runs of power, and two runs of ground (1/0 OFC) from the front to rear. A Delta 31 battery under the hood. Stock alternator for now. I'm really hoping I won't have to put a larger alt on it, but we will see. 

Sound deadener throughout the car, some custom kick panels, replace front door speakers with components. Was planning an additional component set in the rear package tray but I'm not sure since ill be sealing the air space from the trunk to rear seat, there might be a lot of distortion from the moving air under the package tray lol. 

36 Ford * 51 Mercury 

www.flyracing.com

Well with some mods... You can fit up to a 8" od speaker in the doors. My silver flutes a right at 8"od. I'm not running any rear speakers at all. Don't miss them either. 

I need to beef up my electrical. Big 3 and 1 run of 2/0 right now. Need to upgrade alt and batts though

05 TL build log SOLD

Archived