Sundown Audio

Amp Gain Nearly Maxed & No Clipping

Somebody

I did try finding a solution for this elsewhere before asking and I couldn't. :S

I have a Q2200.2 running at .5 ohms pushing 2 D2 HDS15s with a Pioneer DEH-80PRS as my HU. [320A Singer Alt; D2400 XS Power; Big 3; OFC wire ran]

Pioneer DEH-80PRS max volume is 62 so I turned it up to 41 when I was setting the gain. I played a 30hz test tone just to see if I can get any clipping and nothing. I know 46 out of 62 is 3/4 but I felt like 41 would work just fine as I don't see the need to go 46 or above. Now, however, I have the gain set around 3/4 up, maybe even 80% ish, and I can turn the volume above 46 when low 30s are playing and even turn up my bass knob control from 1/2 to 3/4 of max without any clipping. I even have 'LOUD' turned 'ON' from the Headunit which increases the bass. 

Subs do hit beautifully like they're supposed to though I feel at this point I am not seeing full potential. My voltage rarely drops, usually steady 14.6-14.9 depending on the note played. My amp does stay cool though, since it is summer, there is a small amount of warmth.

Any ideas? Or things to try different? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum. You have some nice equipment so far, why not invest in a DD-1 also. All those gain setting issues will be a thing of the past. The CC-1 is also a great investment too. You could also search the forum for someone near your area who owns a DD1, maby he or she can assist you. 

That HU is clean at 62 i believe, several pioneers can max volume with out distortion. Maybe thats why u can turn ur amp gain all the way up, becuase the HU isnt putting out its full voltage at 3/4 volume. So ur 5v outputs are not even close to 5v, so the amp can be turned way up because the input from the HU is low with 3/4 volume. Try redoing everything at 58. 

I've said it in another thread about HU volumes and clipping, but here it is again. 

Just because my 80PRS is clean all the way up to max volume doesn't mean yours or anyone else's will be. Electronic components have tolerances that effect the results differently in every circuit board. The install and the vehicle will also vary the results. I have it maxed out and clean in my Tahoe, but when I had it in my explorer, I would only have max clean at 60/62. All settings the same when measuring with DD-1. 

Do do yourself a favor, forget anything and everything you've ever read about a "3/4 volume/gain" setting, and buy the proper distortion measuring tool(s) or find someone local to you and borrow theirs. Stop using "loud" and any other bass boost setting. I'm assuming you think you're not clipping because the little light on your bass knob doesn't light up. Don't trust those crappy knobs and lights. 

Heres the SMD tool map:

http://www.easymapmaker.com/map/07b8a5c187dae6b87933b0458f8ba311

Use it to find someone close to you with a DD-1 or o-scope, send them a message and see if they'll help you out

• 2 weeks later...
I just got my DD-1 earlier this week and went to set my gains with it, but I ran into some problems unfortunately. 

I turned all settings to 0, off, flat, filters to lowest/highest/off, etc. I then connected the positive probe to the positive on my amp and negative to negative. Turned on the DD-1 and played Track 1. I turned up my HU's volume to see where it maxes at... only to find out that the Signal light comes on at 55 and 40hz detected comes on at 57. (My HU's max volume is 62). I did go by the book given but I also seen some people connect the negative to the amp ground so I did that next and instead I get nothing at all. I know that Pioneer Headunits are known to go high in volume before any distortion and I know the Deh-80prs (and a few others) generally clip at 57+ out of 62. I felt confident in having my headunit's volume at 57 to set my amp gain for my subs.. but I can turn my amp gain all the way up and still no distortion, which isn't the case obviously.

I am just lost at this moment on what to do. Prior to using the DD-1 I set the gains by ear and they sound just fine and played just fine. I'm sure its my error but I'm not sure what I did wrong. Is it a poor signal from my Headunit, and if so, why/how?

I have emailed D'Amore Engineering but I'm not sure if they reply on weekends so in the meantime I will also ask here, like so. 

Thanks in advance

Archived