Second Skin Audio

Help needed

byoung80

New to the forum and not to sure where to post this. 

I am looking for someone who can build a box for me for one 18 that'll be going into an 2005 Escalade. 

I live in Tacoma, WA so trying to find someone in the Tacoma/Seattle area that can do this. Any help would be appreciate. 

Or if someone builds boxes and doesn't mind shipping it. 

Thank you. 

I'm in Eastern Washington, but unless you feel like making a trip over the mountains it would still have to be shipped.  For a box that big itshipping may be cost prohibitive. 

What sub do you have? What amp?  What are the max dimensions of the space you have to work with?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Isn't Tacoma fairly big? Is there not a shop there that can build a box for you if no one here can?

Like stated shipping will not be good for you due to size. Shipping would be more than the box itself I would think. I'd start looking locally for someone to build one. There's bound to be a shop there that can.

There's car toys but not going to them and foss car audio, I'm not sure if they just do installs, or if they can actually build me a box. I'll stop by there since I'm close and see if they can. I'm not sure what shipping would cost for a box. I was hoping someone on here lived in the Seattle/Tacoma area. 

You might look on the Northwest SPL Facebook group. There are lots of guys in your area. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Sorry for the loss of your buddy man, those are always the worst, sometimes worse than family!

Single 18boxes are not too bad to ship, As long as you keep every dimension under 48 inches, and under 149lbs or less.

48inches or higher, and 150lbs or higher instantly puts you into freight and then shipping is $300+ alone.

I shipped this single 18 box a few states away for $80ish iirc

20160914_231649.jpg

20160915_010401.jpg

20160916_034822.jpg

As for the comment about shops building boxes... LOL

They are few and far between that can build a quality box now days it seems.

I cringe every time I see a shop box made with a jigsaw, uneven cuts with gaps, no woodglue, and so on.

Usually the customer is none the wiser since its wrapped with carpet and would only know its built like poo is when it fails and falls apart or they pull the sub out and see the construction of it.

Sure there are still shops that can do the most beautiful work, but they are really starting to be few and far between.

They would rather sell a prefab box as a custom built box for 4times the actual msrp of the prefab and call it done, then invest in fabrication tools.

Then again there are a lot of "boxbuilders" that are just as bad if not worse.
Triticum does great work, I think my work is great as well but that is being biased of coarse, There was another guy on the forums here that seemed to be moving in the right direction, but quit doing it and landed a sweet job at a shop now iirc and hasn't been around here much lately.

Then you have other guys online doing kerf boxes which are hacked together, you can see every cut made on the backside of the kerf because they dont set the depth right, have unfilled screw holes, and have so many port bends that it kills port efficiency, but who am I to judge. LOL
Shopping around is a must when going the custom route, if something sounds too good, it probably is. Dont be fooled by boxes that look cool in a sketch up program either. I seen a few guys that can draw the nicest things, but their building skills are anything but nice.

Archived