Second Skin Audio

blown subs

icedragoneer

hey all whats going on i seem to be having some serious issues ive been putting systems in for about 15 yrs (on the side) i always did my own when i was younger and now im doing them for my son ive installed 6 pairs of subs now and blown them all ive made sure not to go over rms power on the subs each time the first set was quantum audio q3000 at 1000 watts rms each on a soundstream amp doing 2000 watts rms at 1 ohm and subs were in 1.5 cu. ft. ea. got about 2 weeks out of them the next set was alphsonik subs doing 1200 watts rms each got about a month out of them so i think its the amp so i get a different amp the ppi black ice 7000 rated at 2300 watts rms at 1 ohm got  about 1 week out of subs the gains on the the amp were never above half way up and bass boost up about a quarter i am running 1/0 wire from battery to amp (with inline fuse) also have big 3 done in 1/0 wire also i have never had this much trouble with blowing subs can someone plz give me some advise

thanx 

Bass boost should be at zero. If you're using that gain knob a little too much then you could be introducing some clipped signal. 

What size are those subs? How are they blowing? Surrounds ripping off? Burnt/Wound coil? 

If that amp is a SS T series 2k then you could be sending some dirty power. I had one of those amps couple years back right when they re-cased them. 

It was ok for when I started out but it gave me issues. 

For those subs that amp should be fine as long as you keep it clean. 

2008 VW Jetta

Team Fi 12 

CT 4000.1

CT 125.4

PWX 6.5

80 PRS

EB Flex 2/0

Second Skin

^^^ Build ^^^

10 minutes ago, icedragoneer said:

i dont have all the good stuff i just put the gains at half and the subs are 12in. in 1.5 cu. ft. each i think its blown coils 

You could have worse man it's all good.

Do you know what head unit you have?

Finding out at what volume your HU distorts is key. 

What about the settings on the HU? Could have the bass boost up on that and that would cause a lot of dirty signal. 

2008 VW Jetta

Team Fi 12 

CT 4000.1

CT 125.4

PWX 6.5

80 PRS

EB Flex 2/0

Second Skin

^^^ Build ^^^

Welcome to SMD! Clipping kills subs. When I smell mine get stinky, I turn it down a little. Gain at half way is a shot in the dark. Find someone with an O-Scope or DD-1 in your area to see if they can help you set your gains.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

I'm  guessing you melted/slinky'd the coils? Is the box ported, and if so did they start to smell after wanging on em? Hows the voltage look in this rig? I agree with the others that you're just blindly guessing where to set the volume, bass boost, and amp gaim.

• 4 months later...

Archived