Second Skin Audio

Looking for a box design for 3 Skar Audio evl-6.5 subwoofer. Will pay!

I am looking for a box design for my subwoofers. I played with a design for 3 Skar Audio evl-6.5 subwoofers using a 2cuft net box, 30sqin port and tuned to 35hrz. Long story short it sounds like crap, I believe I went a little too big on the box, or tune too low. Subs sound very "messy". Like I said I was just playing. At this point I would like a professional design box that will sound well on 850 watts rms. I will be powering at with a skar audio RP-1500 @2.67 ohms. I listen to mainly rap music, and I would like something that surprises people with these little guys. Willing to go with a tline, bandpass, or simple ported. I'm willing to pay for a quality design. Max dimensions are L= 35 W=16 H=12. Any help is appreciated!  

Ok so here is the thing. Smaller subs are for when you physically cannot fit larger subs.  Generally speaking you shouldn't run 10"s if you can fit 12"s, you shouldn't run 8"s if you can fit 10"s, and you sure as hell shouldn't run 6.5"s if you can fit ANYTHING else. 

Based on the dimensions you gave you can easily fit a single 12" and that is what you should do.   My suggestion is to sell the 6.5"s, but a 750-1000 watt RMS 12" sub of your choice and run it at 1 ohm. We can help you come up with a box design for that 12". Then you can listen to your 12" sub utterly destroy anything those 6.5" subs could do in any box, ever. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I do appreciate the feedback and I do understand what you're saying. It definitely would have been cheaper to do with single 12! I really would like to work with what I have, though I'm not looking to bust any records, I would like to surprise people when I pop my hatch and see door sized speakers. I bought two of these 6.5 in a prefab box from skar, and was very impressed, once I tried playing with three, I am very disappointed. I do blame that a hundred percent on my box, I made the specs slightly bigger and tuned lower than what they require. This is where some people with more knowledge than I do come in to help me create something that sounds good. 

I'll play with the numbers and see if I can come up with something. I know you want to use what you have but understand you are asking "how do I make this screwdriver into a good hammer" and the answer for the most part is "you can't".  Between the high Fs, low Vas, and low Xmax those aren't really subs, regardless of what Skar wants to call them.  It's a shame Skar markets them as such. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

Well that's not too motivating, but I do understand. Guess I just got suckered in to the "hype" of 6.5 subwoofers. If you don't mind, see what you can come up with. Was thinking a 4th order but the woofer specs are not to friendly to work with as you stated. If it's a lost cause I'll make arrangements to find another subwoofer. Thanks 

I played with the numbers a bit.  There really isn't anything I can do to get those "subs" to perform as I'd like with the space you have available.  If you had more space a 6th order bandpass might work well, but its too big. 

If you are determined to try a new box, I'd just build it to Skar's recommended specs.  1.8 cu ft tuned to 40 hz with 30 sq in of port area.  Output is going to be peaky and will fall off fast below 40 hz, but that's just how its going to be.  

Builds:

I'm interested in the sixth order idea that you're throwing out. Would this yield me any decent results? I have a MAX of l= 36 w=22  and h= 15. I could also go a l= 36 w=20 and h= 19. This is all for a 2003 PT Cruiser hatchback. Sizes posted are absolutely the biggest I can go. Interested in your thoughts on a 6th order vs. ported to make these little guys actually produce some bass

On 8/11/2017 at 4:46 PM, Daniel Shepard said:

I'm interested in the sixth order idea that you're throwing out. Would this yield me any decent results? I have a MAX of l= 36 w=22  and h= 15. I could also go a l= 36 w=20 and h= 19. This is all for a 2003 PT Cruiser hatchback. Sizes posted are absolutely the biggest I can go. Interested in your thoughts on a 6th order vs. ported to make these little guys actually produce some bass

So here is the issue.  When you put those drivers in the recommended enclosure specs you get a big peak it output right around tuning and not much anywhere else.  With a 6th order box you get two tuning frequencies, so you can spread those out and get some usable bandwidth, this comes at the cost of increased enclosure size.  What looks decent is a parallel-tuned box with 1.8 cu ft tuned to 32 hz and .8 cu ft tuned to 60 hz, both with at least 20 sq in of port area.  This makes for a pretty big box, and they are a pain to lay out. 

Builds:

Archived