Alternator death

Hey guys I have a question I've been working on my own systems for awhile now but recently my alternator died when I put my old system in earlier this year I sold my system to my friend and it killed his old alternator and his new alternator(60amp) I thought his alternators kept dying but I bought my system back from him the on the same day almost instantly my alternator took a crap on me the system I have is a digital designs c3b pushing around 500w rms and I have a power acoustik mofo 12 wired at 2 ohms and my stock alternator(130amp)(20yr old alternator) used to push this system speaking as this was my old system but now on the first day I put it back in it kills my alternator I'm thinking I just sucked the last bit of juice out of the alternator or is it possible that the amp is bad and it some how shorts out alternators?

I would have to say that IF your amp was bad and shorting out alternators then chances are your amp would of released magic smoke and fried.

Most likely you are asking too much from your alternator, especially one thats stock and 20 years old.

You are probably draining your battery to the point that the alternator is working non stop to recharge it and overheating and killing itself.
Realistically you can blow a brand new high output alternator just by hooking it up to a battery that is only half charged. So if that is possible I wouldn't hesitate to say that an older stock lower amperage alternator could be killed even easier and sooner.

After all that amp is capable of continuously drawing more than what the one 60amp alternator can even make, so now add that you have to support a vehicles electrical system like headlights, heat/ac, running lights, brake lights, turn signals, wipers when it rains, the pcm/ecm etc you are draining the battery faster than it can be maintained so the battery is just getting deader and deader.
Now add to the fact that if they are older batteries then the condition of the battery is decreased a lot.

An alternator is not meant to charge the battery up, but is meant to maintain the battery voltage.

Any time you install a new alternator you should fully charge the battery first with a battery charger to prevent blowing up an alternator.

I have 3 alternators that are 390amps each and 7 batteries, even with 1170 amps of alternator I still must plug my truck into a battery charger at least once a week to keep the batteries charged up to their fullest.

Archived