Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer Placement

TURBO DIESEL

I have a 1982 Mercedes W123 and I want to put subs in the trunk but the fuel tank is in between the back seat and the trunk. My question is if I put the subs in the trunk, will the fuel tank absorb the low bass frequencies and will I be able to feel and hear the bass from the trunk. My truck had the sub behind the drivers seat in the cab and Ive never had a vehicle with a trunk before. My other option would be to put a small powered sub behind the seat in the car but I would like to put them in the trunk.

Having the fuel tank there, does that mean the trunk is sealed? 

Tried to find a picture on google but got some mixed stuff.

If you have a picture of the trunk or if you find something online that's similar to yours that would be good. Just so we know what we're looking at. 

From what I saw online you shouldn't have an issue. Looked to have a good amount of trunk space. 

2008 VW Jetta

Team Fi 12 

CT 4000.1

CT 125.4

PWX 6.5

80 PRS

EB Flex 2/0

Second Skin

^^^ Build ^^^

I used to have the same "fuel tank in trunk behind rear seat" thing. Not a Mercedes thoe. If I knew then what I know now, I would have ported through the rear deck. Yes, the fuel tank is an issue. Not the end of world but when I butchered the rear deck, it sounded alot better in the cab. I was running a single 15 in 3cu ported enclosure. Sub and port on the same baffle. Tried facing the sub up, back and forward... the best result I got was sub/port facing the rear and pushed right up against the fuel tank. Like I said before,  if I knew then...sub back ported through the rear deck

Mitchaford, I believe the trunk is sealed. Here is a picture of the trunk.

8ten8, I have a first aid kit on the rear deck that i could take out if thats what you mean by porting through the rear deck. Some pictures on google show something like this but instead have a 8 inch sub in the first aid box like this. Also do you have any pictures of how you installed yours?

w123trunk.jpg

w123subpic.jpg

Yeah, remove the first aid kit. I don't have photos but I found this online as an example 

dFVF0a.png

Sub back port up. Maby someone on the forum can assist you with plans so you can build. Include your max dimensions, sub type and power your running. Nice ride btw

Thanks. I aint planning on building a box just yet, just wanted to get ideas where would be the best place to put it. I forgot to mention Im possibly looking to go sealed this time, because I dont know how to build a ported. With my ported "pre-fab" box I shook the crap out of my silverado and now everything rattles. I dont want to shake the panels off the car and vibrate everything loose, but I am open to ideas and suggestions.

Nothing wrong with going sealed. Easy to build too. It's been said higher QTS is one of the many parameters to consider when going sealed. I've included a vid that may help you choose the right sub for your application. Good luck and keep us posted 

Archived