Second Skin Audio

Ported or Sealed enclosure

K Caudill

A ported box is going to have more output down low around its tuning frequency compared to a sealed box.  Just how much more output depends on the parameters of the box, the install, and the sub being used.  More output down low may or may not be something you want based on the specifics of your install and how you like your music to sound.  Most people around here like the extra output.  

I try to avoid generalizations like "sealed boxes have better sound quality" or "ported boxes are more boomy".  Both sealed and ported boxes can have excellent sound quality, and they both can sound terrible and have boomy, sloppy bass if done poorly.  It all comes down to the equipment being used and how the box is designed and implemented.  People can't just say "sealed boxes sound this way, and ported boxes sound that way".  Its a lot more complicated than that.  

For my own tastes, I like ported boxes that are relatively small for the size of subs being used and are tuned pretty low.  I also carefully pick subs that work well in this configuration.  This usually gives a flatter frequency response and good low end extension, but it does come at the cost of some output potential.  I am telling you this not because I think small ported boxes are "best", what's right for me may not be right for you.  Its just an example of what can be done and how to approach the decision making process. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

13 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

A ported box is going to have more output down low around its tuning frequency compared to a sealed box.  Just how much more output depends on the parameters of the box, the install, and the sub being used.  More output down low may or may not be something you want based on the specifics of your install and how you like your music to sound.  Most people around here like the extra output.  

I try to avoid generalizations like "sealed boxes have better sound quality" or "ported boxes are more boomy".  Both sealed and ported boxes can have excellent sound quality, and they both can sound terrible and have boomy, sloppy bass if done poorly.  It all comes down to the equipment being used and how the box is designed and implemented.  People can't just say "sealed boxes sound this way, and ported boxes sound that way".  Its a lot more complicated than that.  

For my own tastes, I like ported boxes that are relatively small for the size of subs being used and are tuned pretty low.  I also carefully pick subs that work well in this configuration.  This usually gives a flatter frequency response and good low end extension, but it does come at the cost of some output potential.  I am telling you this not because I think small ported boxes are "best", what's right for me may not be right for you.  Its just an example of what can be done and how to approach the decision making process. 

Perfect description.  I have never really heard a ported box that ive liked.  This could be because of not being built correctly.  I've tended to sway to the sealed box only because they are easy to build.  I do know that ported boxes do require a larger area or volume.  

Anyone on here have used a Sundown SA-12 in sealed enclosure?  I have my box built at 1.25 cft each then with the sub displacement of around 0.15cft making the box just over 1 cft each sub.  This is Sundown's suggested volume.  

Archived