Second Skin Audio

Fi SSD Port Noise Question

Cannoy

You might get a bit of port noise, but it probably won't be severe.  If you are worried about it you could increase your port area a bit.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

18 hours ago, Cannoy said:

I might try increasing the port area, but using the recommended port area from carstereo.com it only lowers the velocity by 5 ft/s.

The port calculator on carstereo.com uses a formula that doesn't work well with the high excursion subs we have now.  Since you have everything in WinISD I'd suggest increasing your port area until the peak port velocity get no higher than 72 feet/sec.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

Here is a vent airspeed plot for the Fi SSD 12 latest generation on 1250W, box specs [email protected] port area 37.5 sqin:

ssd.jpg

I'd doubt you will have any port noise if you do round all sharp edges inside the port (or using 3 4" flared round ports), much less if you are going to put this in a trunk car.

I might add that WinISD is not designed for slot ports, if you are using one your tuning is going to end up a bit lower than expected.

16 hours ago, Cannoy said:

What should I use to calculate port length? Every calculator I use gives me a different length. And I have looked through the forum but I see people suggest different calculators, will they all get me close enough to what I want?

Calculating port length to get the tuning frequency you want is not an exact science.  There are several different formulas and they usually give similar but not identical results.  Also things like changes in atmospheric pressure and temperature will change your tuning and none of the formulas account for that.  

Another thing to consider is when using a slot port you need to account for end correction and there are a couple different ways to do that.  Also its not uncommon for your tuning to drop a couple Hz at high volume.  

If you give us the dimensions of your port, net volume of the box, and desired tuning frequency I can tell you how long it needs to be. 

Builds:

Archived