Second Skin Audio

Three 8" subs vs two 10" subs

dbmachine

Listen to mostly rock, country, metal. I already have 2 image dynamics  8" subs and want a little more bass. Amp is a pioneer new series 800watt 1ohm. I don't have the room to port being it's under a super shallow down fire rear seat in a crew cab f150. 1.2cu ft all I have. Don't know which would be best for this style music . Add another 8" image dynamics sub at a 1.33 load about 250 watts each or go with two 10" subs like a kicker cvr with 400 watts a piece at 1ohm. Open to suggestions. Less expensive to just add another sub then try to sell the 8"s to fund some new 10s.

Is the 1.2 cu ft the total internal volume you have to work with?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

How much depth do you have to work with?  The problem with most shallow mount subs (and pretty much all 8" subs) is they have limited excursion capacity.  With a sealed box output is directly related to cone displacement (cone area * Xmax) so you want to maximize that.  

I think going to two 10"s COULD get you improved performance, but they need to have pretty decent excursion capability to do so.  Something like the Sundown SD-3 series jumps to mind. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived