I'm trying to evaluate if it would be practical or even feasible to convert my rig to flex fuel (2005 Tahoe w/ 5.3). I've tried searching and got answers ranging from different injectors (32lb vs 26lb) and the associated reflash to different fuel pumps, soft lines, gas caps, and fuel composition sensors.

I'm at a dead end with my research and have yet to find any reliable info. 

Anyone here know anything about it?

How come you want to convert? 10% less in cost per gallon with 25% less mpg doesnt seem like a good trade off to me. Mine is a flex, but i dont use e85 for that reason. Just me though. 

Edit: i dont know why my text doesnt match throughout the whole reply

2 hours ago, reedal said:

How come you want to convert? 10% less in cost per gallon with 25% less mpg doesnt seem like a good trade off to me. Mine is a flex, but i dont use e85 for that reason. Just me though. 

Edit: i dont know why my text doesnt match throughout the whole reply

E85 will never be cost competitive in the US bc we make ethanol from corn. Its way more efficient and cost effective to make it from sugar cane, hence why its popular in south america and much cheaper there. 

ethanol is roughly half as dense as gasoline but still has about the same energy. But it has other benefits, like aiding in lowering charge temperature, reducing the tendency for detonation/knocking. So there are performance benefits. Its just not cost efficient in the US. 

My senior design project was the Formula SAE race car team.  We were the first year at my school to run ethanol and a supercharger. We sprayed in injector into the airstream before the supercharger and before the combustion chamber (on a YFZ450 block). The atomization of ethanol helps it absorb heat rapidly... so much so that we would build up FROST on the roots style supercharger (which are <55% efficient by nature).  

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

3 hours ago, WalledSonic said:

E85 will never be cost competitive in the US bc we make ethanol from corn. Its way more efficient and cost effective to make it from sugar cane, hence why its popular in south america and much cheaper there. 

ethanol is roughly half as dense as gasoline but still has about the same energy. But it has other benefits, like aiding in lowering charge temperature, reducing the tendency for detonation/knocking. So there are performance benefits. Its just not cost efficient in the US. 

My senior design project was the Formula SAE race car team.  We were the first year at my school to run ethanol and a supercharger. We sprayed in injector into the airstream before the supercharger and before the combustion chamber (on a YFZ450 block). The atomization of ethanol helps it absorb heat rapidly... so much so that we would build up FROST on the roots style supercharger (which are <55% efficient by nature).  

In a performance design like that, i can understand using it for aiding in temperature, which is why its mostly performance/drag cars that do the conversion. But I've only ever read/heard in my searches after buying my tahoe that E85 will be worse for mileage on a daily than the regular E10 we use with every other vehicle, and never seen anything to support otherwise.

But maybe snow is making his a drag 'hoe? :p

Looks like the cost/benefit isn't there for this one. Though for anyone interested, the major bits in the conversion require the following: L59 fuel injectors, flex fuel comp sensor ACDelco 12570260, and an ECU for an L59. Will likely need some fuel lines to connect to the fuel comp sensor too

Archived