Sonic Electronix

SoundQubed Amp and Sub Clipping - Looking for opinions!

Hello - I'm just looking for a few thoughts or opinions on my current setup. I've already reached out to the guys at soundqubed but it never hurts to get additional feedback.

I just purchased and installed a SoundQubed HDS2.112, SoundQubed 1200, Audio Control LC2i and built a ported box from there website to the specs of this subwoofer but I'm unimpressed. The subwoofer seems to be able to handle more power but my signal is clipping. I tuned everything with the SMD DD-1 and although it sounds ok, I don't think it's nearly loud enough or performing where it should be. I was advised to give it a little time to break in but I feel even when that happens it wont make a big enough difference to satisfy my wants for this system. I have a 2017 Genesis G80 so I'm integrating into my stock system and my battery is already located in the trunk. I have 14.4 volts when the car is running which drops to around 12.4 volts when the sub hits.

SoundQubed HDS2.112 Dual 2ohm - Wired to 1 ohm

4 Guage Power & Ground Wires

Any idea how I can make this sub come alive or am I asking too much of this current setup? Bigger Amp? Bigger Sub?

16 minutes ago, dgreenie29 said:

Hello - I'm just looking for a few thoughts or opinions on my current setup. I've already reached out to the guys at soundqubed but it never hurts to get additional feedback.

I just purchased and installed a SoundQubed HDS2.112, SoundQubed 1200, Audio Control LC2i and built a ported box from there website to the specs of this subwoofer but I'm unimpressed. The subwoofer seems to be able to handle more power but my signal is clipping. I tuned everything with the SMD DD-1 and although it sounds ok, I don't think it's nearly loud enough or performing where it should be. I was advised to give it a little time to break in but I feel even when that happens it wont make a big enough difference to satisfy my wants for this system. I have a 2017 Genesis G80 so I'm integrating into my stock system and my battery is already located in the trunk. I have 14.4 volts when the car is running which drops to around 12.4 volts when the sub hits.

SoundQubed HDS2.112 Dual 2ohm - Wired to 1 ohm

4 Guage Power & Ground Wires

Any idea how I can make this sub come alive or am I asking too much of this current setup? Bigger Amp? Bigger Sub?

Even though you tuned with a dd1, did you tune with your head unit at a reasonable level? for instance the highest my kenwood headunit will go without sending out a clip/distortion is 26/40 so therefore i tune my amps at 26. if you have your head unit too high your amp will distort regardless of gain.

Stage 3 2008 Mazdaspeed 3

MIDS/HIGHS                                                                               BASS

8 Unlawful Sounds Mark VIIIs                                                  2 15s (in talks with a few companies) 

8 Unlawful Sounds Super Tweeters                                       Soundigital EVO 5000

Amps: Something Brazilian

12 minutes ago, dgreenie29 said:

Yes i did that as well.. My stock head unit Nav system clips @ 30 out of 45.. 

you may just be wanting too much out of that system. I feel like it should be louder though.Why do you say your signal is clipping if you say you also set your gains with the DD-1? is the DD-1 saying there is distortion?

Stage 3 2008 Mazdaspeed 3

MIDS/HIGHS                                                                               BASS

8 Unlawful Sounds Mark VIIIs                                                  2 15s (in talks with a few companies) 

8 Unlawful Sounds Super Tweeters                                       Soundigital EVO 5000

Amps: Something Brazilian

Just now, dudeogo said:

you may just be wanting too much out of that system. I feel like it should be louder though.Why do you say your signal is clipping if you say you also set your gains with the DD-1? is the DD-1 saying there is distortion?

Well it's not exactly clipping since it's tuned but I feel like something is under performing. As I understand it, clipping will occur when your amplifier is at maximum capacity and can no longer amplify the signal. This amp should be more than capable of driving this sub unless there is an issue with it but like I said it's brand new. The lowest voltage I've recorded under load is 12.4 volts so there again I would assume that my stock electrical has plenty of power to drive this amp and sub. 

When you have your system set to just below clipping can you measure the AC output voltage of you amp?  You can measure this with the sub disconnected. 

Can you post a picture of the box?  

How do you have the box oriented in your trunk?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Your probably getting 800 watts at 12.4volts or even lower , that's probably just your systems output need batteries. When I added my H.O Alt and 6 new batteries my system was louder because my voltage didn't drop as much.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

21 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

When you have your system set to just below clipping can you measure the AC output voltage of you amp?  You can measure this with the sub disconnected. 

Can you post a picture of the box?  

How do you have the box oriented in your trunk?

I will do that tonight. 

Please see the link for pictures

System Pictures

17 minutes ago, Ron36 said:

Your probably getting 800 watts at 12.4volts or even lower , that's probably just your systems output need batteries. When I added my H.O Alt and 6 new batteries my system was louder because my voltage didn't drop as much.

Yeah that is possible!! Would adding another battery in the trunk assist with that?

Distortion is the number 1 killer of subs not over powering them keep your voltage good .

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Archived