Sonic Electronix

Question about air movement for Hairtricking

Let me start with saying I wasn't exactly sure where this should be posted, so if it's in the wrong section, let me know and I'll repost it in the right area. So for now, let's dig in.

Hey guys, this is my first post on SMD. I've recently stepped into car audio, following the footsteps of my dad (he traveled the country competing [dBDRA]). I have a lowered 1991 Isuzu pickup spacecab with 4 15" Treo's (SSX15.22) running true 1100's to each (though, I'm going blank on the brand of the amps). I have it all sitting in a ported box (removed the seats in the extended part of the cab for the box) and have the recommended 3.5 cu ft per sub in the box. (If there is anything I'm missing, let me know and I'll get the information across.)

Now that you guys have a bit of an idea on my set up, my question is if you feel like I have a chance at blowing some hair around. I've already had a couple of teens stop me and ask for a demo (with each of the chicks telling me if they spent another minute in the truck the seat would be soaking, so it's not like I NEED the hair tricks, but it's always fun to see.) It's 1:30 in the morning, so I can't run out and take pictures, but I'll be sure to tag some along tomorrow morning.

To be fair, I'm super new into the car audio scene, and my dad is helping me out here and there, but essentially is telling me to do what he did: learn it myself. Constructive criticism is welcome, or just call me a retard and to leave it to the big boys, whatever works for you. I'm all ears! I grew up with heavy bass, considering my dad competed since he was 15, so it's my turn!

I dont really understand the question. You already bang on your system but you want to know if you have a chance at blowing hair around. I think in this case you should be telling us if you can hairtrick or not. 

It depends on what frequency youre tuned at, how much power is getting to your subs, cabin volume, etc. 

Post some pics of what you have, out of curiosity.  Did you help build/install your system?

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Same. I'm lost on your question. Who is your dad. If he's been doing DB drag for a long while,  ill bet i know him. Be cool if I do, and even cooler if I've laned up against him before. 

So, who is your dad,  and what the hell is the actual question?  Will your set up be "windy" ? Is that it? Welcome to the forum 

8 hours ago, 06RTCharger said:

3.5 cubes per sub and u have 4 subs. So u got 14cubes in the extra cab of ur truck? Damn

This is what I was told by my dad. I decided I might as well go measure it myself, to see how right he was. The box itself is 51" wide by 32" tall by 16" deep (back of the box to front- measured through the port). That gave me 15.111 ft3 .

4 hours ago, WalledSonic said:

I dont really understand the question. You already bang on your system but you want to know if you have a chance at blowing hair around. I think in this case you should be telling us if you can hairtrick or not. 

It depends on what frequency youre tuned at, how much power is getting to your subs, cabin volume, etc. 

Post some pics of what you have, out of curiosity.  Did you help build/install your system?

I suppose I worded it poorly. Essentially, I'm asking if there is like a specific frequency that is best to use for hairtricking. I know no one with enough hair to give it a real test.
I'm going off information that my dad gave me about the build. He had his sponsor do it (Bill's Glass and Audio- Harrison, AR), and supposedly it's tuned to about 40hz. Then again, this was about 15 years ago, so maybe he doesn't remember exactly. I'm running 4 Memphis 1000D's, one to each sub. I didn't help build/install it. It was done somewhere around 12 years ago or so. Going to attach a link to my Imgur for the truck, since the pictures are too big to attach.

2 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

Same. I'm lost on your question. Who is your dad. If he's been doing DB drag for a long while,  ill bet i know him. Be cool if I do, and even cooler if I've laned up against him before. 

So, who is your dad,  and what the hell is the actual question?  Will your set up be "windy" ? Is that it? Welcome to the forum 

Yep, definitely could've worded it better haha. He did DB drag back at the turn of the 2000's. Eric Laughlin. When I looked him up, all I could find were records of his 4 12's, not his 15's.
I guess windy is a good enough word. I was just trying to figure out if I could hairtrick. My dad seems to think the subs don't have enough throw to do it, and he could easily be right, considering he had this set up for awhile, whereas I've had it for a mere couple weeks. I could wait until my sister gets back from vacation, but I also thought I might be able to ask around and figure it out. Guess I should learn to be patient, lol. Or maybe if anyone had a song that would be a good go-to for me to figure out if I can indeed hairtrick. Thanks for the welcoming! 

Finally, I know I had the system essentially handed to me, but I paid my dad for it and helped put it all back in (when transporting it from Arkansas to Florida, all of the subs, amps, and batteries were taken out so they wouldn't get damaged.

Pictures of the truck- https://imgur.com/a/YFlwk

6 hours ago, LOWrider said:

True, haha. My bad.Somewhere along the way, I suppose I got the idea that a wall is a non-ported box. 

a wall can be sealed, ported, 4th order or 6th order.... it just has to be a box that uses enough space to be built directly into a whole section of a car/truck....... 4x 15" should move enough air to make hair move but its no guarantee

2 hours ago, MotorCityFats13 said:

a wall can be sealed, ported, 4th order or 6th order.... it just has to be a box that uses enough space to be built directly into a whole section of a car/truck....... 4x 15" should move enough air to make hair move but its no guarantee

Thanks for the information! Alright, I guess it's back to finding songs with constant bass.

58 minutes ago, 06RTCharger said:

Have u ever tried the bandana/rag/paper/or whatever trick? See if the bass will keep the bandana flapping in the window area. That would be a decent indication, i think, that you could hairtrick. 

Everytime I've thought about it, I didn't have anything but a receipt, and it held that haha. But I'm going out today and I'm gonna grab a couple items like that and give it a shot. Fingers crossed!

Still new to the forums, still looking around, but is there a specific place to talk about favorite songs? Thanks you guys for all of the responses!

Archived