In need of 15 F250 SD Isolator

2015 F250 SD with dual stock batteries and stock alt.

Adding on an XS D3400

System:

Stock HU

Front/Rear 6.5" Focal

MB Quarts center chanel 

Sundown SCV3000D

Sundown X8 V2 in custom center console*

*box next phase of project

Not sure how to spec out and/or where (in-line) to install the isolator.

Any help would be great!

Where you install the isolator depends entirely on what you intend to use it for.

Could you give me some more info?

Why waste the time with an isolator? I'm nearly certain the factory batteries are AGM, just tie in with them.

Ford's reasoning with stock AGM's being that in the event of a crash or a rollover, less chance of battery acid leaking out and causing environmental harm.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

I was under the impression (no knowledge of batteries/electrical...so let this be known lol), that since the 2 stock OEM batteries are different amps than than the XS battery I am adding into the picture, an isolator would be needed so not to draw lessen the life of the OEM batteries due to audio system.  I assume in best practice, all batteries should be the same...but since this is not the case or will not be anytime soon (just had both batteries replaced under coverage about 4 months ago) an isolator is needed. Going to add inline fuse in and out of the XS battery.

1 hour ago, jumpshowhigh said:

When it comes to isolators....highly recommend the Perfect Switch Dual Rectifier at http://www.perfectswitch.com/isolators/dual-rectifier-150-to-300-amps/  They even have larger units for higher output alternators all the way up to 600 amps.  I put this in my Land Cruiser several years ago and it works exactly as advertised.

What was your reasoning for adding one?  As these 2 other members (high post counts) seem to advise that its not needed for my specific setup.

Only time you'd want an isolator is if you're either doing something like a car show where you're playing car off but don't want to run your starter battery down. Or if you have a mixed battery set up like a custom lithium bank and a lead/acid battery. Outside of that, an isolator is another cost, failure point, and a potential for resistance in the circuit

Even then, mixing AGMs and lithium doesnt require an isolator.  People usually do it as a safegaurd that under complete catastrophic failure that they'd be able to drive home. 

EDIT: and even then, only if it was connected appropriately. 

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Archived