Second Skin Audio

work truck stereo

donberto

So I am orderi2 Dc Audio level 2 12 s today, dual fours and  1.2k to run them.  Local shop is doing box and install. My question is they are saying I should go sealed because they are in extended cab behind me and I will here vent/port noise. I have never ran a sealed box, don't really listen to tons of rap, mostly older rap and rock. Just don't want a custom box built and not like the way it sounds. Thanks

You won’t have port noise if the enclosure is designed with the appropriate amount of port area to keep port velocity down. 

If you provide dimensions for the space you have for the enclosure, I’m sure one of the designers here can help you design the right enclosure to meet your needs

Sounds like the vent/port noise is a cop out to not want to design/build a proper ported box since sealed is easy and hard to mess up. There are plenty of people who have done custom underseat boxes in those that are ported and worked great. Generally have aero ports vented on the side and the subs forward on the face at an angle from the seat to the floor.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Find a new shop. Or learn yourself a bunch and start doing all your own work. 

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I worked in a stereo shop in the 90s, alot has changed, have done all my own builds till this point. 2 more local shops I am going to visit this week. I figured I'd ask sound difference as I have never had a sealed in a vehicle

If u really like the sound of a good ported box, you will likely tell the difference with the sealed sound and possibly not be impressed. Whether you like the sealed sound better or not is all dependant on urself. 

I agree with the previous mention of the shop taking the easy route. Port noise is gonna come from a poorly designed box for ur specific equipment.

What truck is this going in? Taking out the back seat or putting under it? 2 12s properly ported is hard to do under a ext cab seat. Hard to get the airspace

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

1 hour ago, YukonXL04 said:

What truck is this going in? Taking out the back seat or putting under it? 2 12s properly ported is hard to do under a ext cab seat. Hard to get the airspace

Little hard work gets you there. With those subs, he would only need about 2 cubes after displacements (which is on the small side) which will work with having a 1200w amp on them and probably a 4" pvc port per sub venting out each side.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Ford f350 diesel, I am taking out the big bench seat that sits behind me, having box built  look like the seat is still there, grey carpet or bed liner. Id one dc 12 in my od work truck, built vented enclosure myself and had no port noise. Like I said I am going today to visit 2 other shops, with the way the floor is shaped under the seat and me working I just don't have time to build this box, and I am integrating it into the stock deck for now, these new trucks with all the back up cameras and sync integrated into the huge decks are hard to deal with.

Archived