Pioneer 3400-UB Settings

Wanted to know if there are any of the settings that I could change to better my audio listening experience. 

2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe
1 Diamond D2 10" sub powered by a 400watt Diamond mono amp
Monsoon stock speakers

My current Pioneer 3400-UB settings:

-Sound Retriever set to +2
-Equalizer set to custom
-Tone Control: Bass  (2), Mid  (3), Treb (5)
-Loudness set to Low
-Sub Settings set to reverse
- Sub Control set to 80Hz, I also will change it to 125Hz sometimes, and the + is set to 4 out of 6
-SLA set to +4

I listen to just about anything. But my main genres are hip hop and metal

It’s easier to assist you if you tell us what you’re missing/think you’re missing from it. From the top of my head, looking at what you posted as settings, what I would do is sound retriever off, tone control set to zero across the board, loudness off, sub level set to zero with LPF set to 125, and SLA set to zero. I say set everything to zero, flat, or off, because it’s harder to send a nasty clipped signal that way. 

Equalizer set to custom doesn’t tell us anything unless you tell us what the custom EQ bands are set at, and even then, without hearing it or putting it on an RTA, no one can really tell you what to set the EQ at. At best, we can say turn a band down so you don’t clip it. Why is sub set to reverse? What does that even mean? 

34 minutes ago, reedal said:

It’s easier to assist you if you tell us what you’re missing/think you’re missing from it. From the top of my head, looking at what you posted as settings, what I would do is sound retriever off, tone control set to zero across the board, loudness off, sub level set to zero with LPF set to 125, and SLA set to zero. I say set everything to zero, flat, or off, because it’s harder to send a nasty clipped signal that way. 

Equalizer set to custom doesn’t tell us anything unless you tell us what the custom EQ bands are set at, and even then, without hearing it or putting it on an RTA, no one can really tell you what to set the EQ at. At best, we can say turn a band down so you don’t clip it. Why is sub set to reverse? What does that even mean? 

Thanks for the reply. It all sounds good to me right now. However, my passenger tweeter clips every once in a while when the bass hits real low. Bass might be a little too overpowering. Just a little. I'm not sure what Reverse means. But when I was setting everything up, it sounded better with it on Reverse instead of normal. It's either Normal, Reverse, or Off. Says Reverse the phase or normal phase in the manual. 

I'll try setting everything off and back to 0 and see how it is. 

Also my rear 6x9s I'm sure are done for. The flapping from them is horrendous at times. 

Also not sure what is custom about the equalizer. I'll look more into that and see what I can change on the deck with it set to custom. If not, the options are dynamic, vocal, powerful, natural, and flat. I'll try setting to natural. 

Any good tracks/music to play while messing with all of the settings to tune it the best I can? Or should I just play music I would normally listen to? 

Low frequencies shouldn’t be going to your tweeters at all.

interesting that you say it sounded better set to reverse. With a single subwoofer, the phase of the signal feeding it shouldn’t matter at all. But if it’s better set to reverse, and isn’t damaging he sub, leave it how you have it.

You can replace the 6x9’s if you want or just disconnect/remove them. Not having rear speakers helps to allow the sounds you hear not be mixed up by time delay from speaker distance as easily. But on the other hand, having rear speakers is beneficial to passengers, and increasing the level of output you have if you like to jam full blast.

when you set the EQ to custom, another EQ option pops up on the menu allowing you to set the bands where you want them to be increased or reduced.

i would stay away from powerful or boosted anything when it comes to settings. 

Use CD’s or lossless music files when adjusting settings. Nothing that’s been compressed. Most use older music contains a wider bandwidth of frequencies and instruments, allowing you to fine tune your listening preferences. The issue with that is while metal, rock, country, jazz, etc. all use real instruments played by people (mostly), hip hop and other more popular genres of today use computer generated sounds or variations of recorded instruments, which doesn’t give you the same sound. Sorry for the long explanation. Short story is use the music you listen to.

59 minutes ago, reedal said:

Low frequencies shouldn’t be going to your tweeters at all.

interesting that you say it sounded better set to reverse. With a single subwoofer, the phase of the signal feeding it shouldn’t matter at all. But if it’s better set to reverse, and isn’t damaging he sub, leave it how you have it.

You can replace the 6x9’s if you want or just disconnect/remove them. Not having rear speakers helps to allow the sounds you hear not be mixed up by time delay from speaker distance as easily. But on the other hand, having rear speakers is beneficial to passengers, and increasing the level of output you have if you like to jam full blast.

when you set the EQ to custom, another EQ option pops up on the menu allowing you to set the bands where you want them to be increased or reduced.

i would stay away from powerful or boosted anything when it comes to settings. 

Use CD’s or lossless music files when adjusting settings. Nothing that’s been compressed. Most use older music contains a wider bandwidth of frequencies and instruments, allowing you to fine tune your listening preferences. The issue with that is while metal, rock, country, jazz, etc. all use real instruments played by people (mostly), hip hop and other more popular genres of today use computer generated sounds or variations of recorded instruments, which doesn’t give you the same sound. Sorry for the long explanation. Short story is use the music you listen to.

Appreciate the long explanation. No worries, I'm not a "tl;dr" kind of guy. I like to learn the why's instead of just being told. I'd like to try disconnecting the rears and see how it sounds without them. I'll see if I can figure out how to do that. Low frequencies shouldn't be going to the tweeters, but I do notice that the passenger side cracks when the bass hits hard. My driver side tweeter has no problems at all...yet.

It didn't necessarily sound "better" using reverse. But I do notice a difference with certain bass notes between normal and reverse. I don't have any passengers other than my lady and she enjoys metal and hard rock and some hip hop (Rittz lover I'm blessed) so I'm not too worried about pleasing my non existent passengers. 

"I would stay away from powerful/boosted settings" Does this include the "Loud" High/Low options? I assume yes since you stated to turn it off in your previous post. I try to stay away from such things just because I want as natural of a sound as I can get. Although I know last time I turned everything off and to 0, I had to turn it up to 30ish just to hear it decently. 

I usually listen to nothing but cd's (just picked up Rittz's Last Call this morning) but will stream some songs on YouTube/Pandora. I also have an external hard drive that's packed with 200GB of music that I've been wanting to see if my deck will play is via USB. And yes most of my music don't include "real" instruments. However, Rittz's new album has a few tracks with real violin solos on it. haha

I'll check out the custom settings tomorrow and mess with everything while I'm at it. 

Thanks again!

18 hours ago, reedal said:

So I set everything to 0 and kept the sub at 125 but turned the number next to the sub to 0 and everything sounds fine. I figured out that the custom eq is just so I can set the tone settings to however I like. I turned it from custom to natural and that changed the tone settings to 2 for bass, 1 for treble, and 1 for mids. I think I'm going to keep the settings like that for now. Will turn it up louder in the day to see how it performs and see if I get any clipping from the tweeters. 

I tried using my external hard drive on the deck but got an error 23. Will check the manual to see why.

Also I notice a lot of times that my deck is very sensitive. Sometimes if I'm playing a cd and go to hit the pause button the whole deck shuts off and sortof does a reboot. I also noticed when I had the usb plugged in for the hard drive that it wouldn't recognize that there was a usb inserted unless I moved the usb wire a little bit. I don't have a problem with this usb wire when using on my pc so it's something to do with the deck. 

Woofers/tweeters don’t clip. The signal being sent to them is what can be clipped. That can be caused by settings on the HU, or the gain being set too high on the amp, and sometimes it’s even the music itself is clipped from the recording studio. If you’re having issues with that tweeter such as audible distortion, while the other works fine being fed the same signal, then the damage is likely already done, and it would need to be replaced. If it is cutting out, then it may have a loose wire or terminal. Being that it’s a factory tweet, you might be able to find a replacement on eBay or something, or you might not. 

The reason your HDD didn’t work is likely due to the format of it, or due to the size. But yes, check your manual to see what it says in regards to that error code. 

The HU resetting upon pressing a button may be due to loose connections on the back, or it might have a short inside, but that’s not as common. Check your power/ground/remote connections for looseness. Are they crimped, soldered? Make sure the harness is connected firmly to the HU as well.

1 hour ago, reedal said:

Woofers/tweeters don’t clip. The signal being sent to them is what can be clipped. That can be caused by settings on the HU, or the gain being set too high on the amp, and sometimes it’s even the music itself is clipped from the recording studio. If you’re having issues with that tweeter such as audible distortion, while the other works fine being fed the same signal, then the damage is likely already done, and it would need to be replaced. If it is cutting out, then it may have a loose wire or terminal. Being that it’s a factory tweet, you might be able to find a replacement on eBay or something, or you might not. 

The reason your HDD didn’t work is likely due to the format of it, or due to the size. But yes, check your manual to see what it says in regards to that error code. 

The HU resetting upon pressing a button may be due to loose connections on the back, or it might have a short inside, but that’s not as common. Check your power/ground/remote connections for looseness. Are they crimped, soldered? Make sure the harness is connected firmly to the HU as well.

Thanks for clearing that up. I can check the gain levels but I don't believe that they are set too high. 

The tweeter isn't cutting out, just distorting. Did a quick ebay search and found one for $15. https://www.ebay.com/i/253169530685?chn=ps&dispItem=1

I'm not too worried about the deck cutting out but I could pull it out in the future and see if all the connections are intact. I THINK they're crimped though. I'm too lazy to pull it out and look though.

And yes, that was the reasoning for the error. I think I'll just forget about it for now seeing as how I have plenty of cd's to please my ears. I thought it would be nice to take all 200gigs of music and just put it on shuffle while I drive. 

EDIT:

forgot to mention when we were discussing reverse phase and normal for the sub that I actually have TWO subs. They're both identical however one's rubber surround came loose all the way around so I just disconnected that and just run the other sub. Still in the box built for 2. I have a new 10" to replace my current setup but I haven't gotten around to it and doubt I ever will. I made a thread on it a while ago. 

Just ran into another problem with the head unit. I took the cd I had currently in it out. When I went to put another cd in it acted as if there was already another cd in it. It proceeded to spin with no disc and gave me a "Reading Format" message which eventually turned into an Error message. Can't remember what error number it was. It continued to display the error and reading format messages a few more times while it continued to spin. After a few moments I held the power button down to turn it off and turned it back on. Then I turned it over to the CD option to put the cd in. When I went to put the cd in, it took only half of the cd and started to spin/read it. Then it tried to spit the cd back out . Took the cd out and tried it again with no luck. Turns out it scratched the cd BADLY. Will look on Google to see if this is a common problem with this headunit. 

Archived