Second Skin Audio

not pleased with 4-8" sundown

bleedingblue

Have 4-8" sundown SA's in a ported box underneath the rear seat of my 2011 silverado crew cab. Raised the seat 2.5" to get the proper air space for the box and had a custom box built for it. It hits pretty low but nowhere near as loud as I would like it. With over 3000 watts going to them I was expecting something much much more. I'm in my 40's and back in the day most of my systems would only have a couple hundred watts and still slam. Now I need thousands of watts its not really that impressive for the money. I've had them for a week now and I am not satisfied.

So now I'm debating on taking the 8's out and using the same style box and putting in 4-10's in a sealed box. I'm looking at the Sundown SD3 series which were made for a sealed box and require .5 cu ft per sub. The box I have now is .75 per sub with a aeroport for the 8" SA's. Back in the 90's I had 4-10s in a sealed box with an optidrive 200 on them. Had petras, kickers, JL Audio W1's W0's, crunch etc etc and all of them were much louder than the 4-8's ported.

Those SAs are decent subs, if tuned properly, you should have plenty of output.  What diameter and length of port are you running?  Also, what amp are you running?

I'm building a 4th order box with (4) 8's (PSI-8) and my ported section is about 0.75 cu ft per sub with a total of about 50 sq inches of port area, tuned in the mid 30s.  My first guess is that you may not have enough port for your setup.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Interesting, I was going to I run 4 8” SA8v3s in my Silverado too. Raised my seat 2.5 inches too. Ended up selling my 8s and picked up 2 10” w7. I’m not expecting crazy bass, but I hope I’m not on the same boat you as you after I get I get my woofers installed. I’d hate to be disappointed by the bass output. 

Team Bass-Hz

screenshot5-1.jpg

1 hour ago, WalledSonic said:

Those SAs are decent subs, if tuned properly, you should have plenty of output.  What diameter and length of port are you running?  Also, what amp are you running?

I'm building a 4th order box with (4) 8's (PSI-8) and my ported section is about 0.75 cu ft per sub with a total of about 50 sq inches of port area, tuned in the mid 30s.  My first guess is that you may not have enough port for your setup.

Port is prob 3" in diameter (ID) and around a foot long by looking at it from memory. At work now so i cant measure it. 

Sir, that port is undersized.  If you get it ported properly I think you'll be very pleased with the results.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

1 hour ago, baron_of_bass said:

Interesting, I was going to I run 4 8” SA8v3s in my Silverado too. Raised my seat 2.5 inches too. Ended up selling my 8s and picked up 2 10” w7. I’m not expecting crazy bass, but I hope I’m not on the same boat you as you after I get I get my woofers installed. I’d hate to be disappointed by the bass output. 

Ive had much more bass out of some old lanzar 12's with a 100 watts going to each of em. Of course that was back in the 90's when you didnt need 3000 watts to drive a sub. 

I also bought an epicenter, its different now than it used to be. 

I agree with walled on this. The port is holding you back. Also if someone else wired it, or even if you did, have you double checked the final ohm load at the amp to ensure you haven't got mixed up?

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

Archived