Second Skin Audio

not pleased with 4-8" sundown

bleedingblue

With 1x3" port you have about 7" of port area. Enter the box and amp info into Triticum's port calculator to see where you need to be. I bet you need to at least quadruple the area you have now.

Measured the box last night and got

7" tall back of box
10" front of box
15.75" wide on bottom
19.25 wide on top
54.1/8" length

Port
3"wide x 12" long= 7.32" of port area

So if you square the box up it would be 
8.5" tall 
17.5" wide 
54 long

That is 3.4 cu ft of air space if i use .75 size wood. 
Take away 
.44 for the subs
And the 3"x 12" port 
That leaves me with 2.9 cu ft of air space that is available for bass production for the four subs. 

According to the calculator it says 21.86 hertz tuning frequency with that size port. I did stuff the port with rags and it sounded horrible.  Sounded as if the box or subs were coming apart. 

Maybe you were expecting too much from 8's. Maybe it's your gain adjustments, maybe it's your amp, your power wires or maybe your subs have nothing to load off of just being under the seats like that or maybe there's some cancellation issues...whatever. But swapping to other 8'ers isn't going to change anything when the mechanical capabilities of other 8 inch subs are either going to be worse or going to be equal or nearly so. Easily the box is a good 90% of your bass if the rest of your install is on point.

If you feel the box air space and port are adequate for the SA's, then might look at everything else in the chain. Face the subs to the back of the cab just to see if it sounds different, having a corner to load off of can help. Do you have enough actual wattage and the capability of your amp being able to draw what it needs to make that power? I mean it's not a Boss amp and Walmart wiring kit right?

Definitely the port in  the box that's your problem. I would say 2 4" or a 6" at least. Probably more though

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

if your box is tuned at 21 hz, that is one major problem.

That is why it lacks output at higher frequencies because it is tuned so damn low.
Im sure anything above 30ish hz sounds like crap.

Cutting the port shorter would increase a little box volume, and raise tuning.

Even if you figured out what it would take to raise the tuning to the 30hz range (maybe even 34hz depending on your music tastes) it would be a drastically different sounding setup.

17 hours ago, omnibus said:

Maybe you were expecting too much from 8's. Maybe it's your gain adjustments, maybe it's your amp, your power wires or maybe your subs have nothing to load off of just being under the seats like that or maybe there's some cancellation issues...whatever. But swapping to other 8'ers isn't going to change anything when the mechanical capabilities of other 8 inch subs are either going to be worse or going to be equal or nearly so. Easily the box is a good 90% of your bass if the rest of your install is on point.

If you feel the box air space and port are adequate for the SA's, then might look at everything else in the chain. Face the subs to the back of the cab just to see if it sounds different, having a corner to load off of can help. Do you have enough actual wattage and the capability of your amp being able to draw what it needs to make that power? I mean it's not a Boss amp and Walmart wiring kit right?

No its a sonido mask amp 3000.1 BigDWiz dynod it and it produced huge amounts of power on dynamic bursts like music for example. have 2 runs of 1/0 wire from each of the batteries etc. It's not lacking power for the amps. The subs are being driven pretty good. Nothing is walmart and have around 4-5K in this set up already. Have Stinger 4ch RCA's running welding cable 6 guage to the speakers. 4 chan Orion amp for my mids and highs, Hertz audio for my mids and highs. Have a Pioneer double din with navigation, back up camera, HD radio, blue tooth etc. It ran something like 700 bucks.

I might have been expecting too much from these 8's because I was told they would slam by everybody on this board and by Sundown and the installers. I guess the definition of "slamming" is different today. It is no louder than a pair of 12" lanzars in a sealed box from what I had in the early 90's with only 100 watts going to each sub.

16 hours ago, audiofanaticz said:

if your box is tuned at 21 hz, that is one major problem.

That is why it lacks output at higher frequencies because it is tuned so damn low.
Im sure anything above 30ish hz sounds like crap.

Cutting the port shorter would increase a little box volume, and raise tuning.

Even if you figured out what it would take to raise the tuning to the 30hz range (maybe even 34hz depending on your music tastes) it would be a drastically different sounding setup.

I have thought about buying some more ports and start cutting them and see how they sound. I like low bass its just its not that loud.

The enclosure seems to be the problem. Fix that, after the box is perfect, if it still doesn't slam like you want, then take it to a shop and get it professionally tuned to make sure all Gain settings are correct.

If after all that, it still doesn't slam, then yes, you might be expecting too much.

I have 2 budget 10s on 900rms doing a 143@35Hz but I went thru 5 enclosures to get to that number and bandwidth. My demo rig blows my daily out of the water, but it's unfair to compare 24K rms to 1K rms.

For what it is, my daily slams hard and plays all day. Don't get discouraged man you'll get there, listen to @audiofanaticz he knows his stuff.

The L@zy Hoe

2005 Chevy Tahoe

2,500 Watts of Highs/Mids

4 10 midrange

4 6.5 midwoofers

4 Tweeters

6 Supertweeters

2 Lithium 80AH Batteries

24K Watts

4 Custom 18s

Quad alt setup Rebuilt 250amp and 3 370s

Interior work by Lone Star Auto Works

The Build Log

Like Loud Bass? Click Here!

On 12/5/2014 at 8:06 PM, juan777 said:

See yall there, I'll be the drunk Mexican with aviators on.

On 12/6/2014 at 10:32 PM, boom50cal said:

I did see Juan LMFAO! He REALLY WAS the drunk mexican with Aviators on!

1 hour ago, bleedingblue said:

No its a sonido mask amp 3000.1 BigDWiz dynod it and it produced huge amounts of power on dynamic bursts like music for example. have 2 runs of 1/0 wire from each of the batteries etc. It's not lacking power for the amps. The subs are being driven pretty good. Nothing is walmart and have around 4-5K in this set up already. Have Stinger 4ch RCA's running welding cable 6 guage to the speakers. 4 chan Orion amp for my mids and highs, Hertz audio for my mids and highs. Have a Pioneer double din with navigation, back up camera, HD radio, blue tooth etc. It ran something like 700 bucks.

I might have been expecting too much from these 8's because I was told they would slam by everybody on this board and by Sundown and the installers. I guess the definition of "slamming" is different today. It is no louder than a pair of 12" lanzars in a sealed box from what I had in the early 90's with only 100 watts going to each sub.

Dynamic burst is more like a burp, going into clipping. Not music.

Also, the port is too small and tuned to low, plain and simple. (i.e. your box is shit)

Lastly, "100w" amps back in the day were drastically underrated sometimes.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Archived