Home audio suggestions needed

Hello guys,

I'm wanting to start some kind of 2.1 home audio build. Nothing 7.1 ultra high tech.

Just want some good ass mids and highs and a decent sub that does lows.

Now I'm wondering, what kind of sub would be nice? I was thinking 250 watts to 500 watts of RMS should be enough to do well right?

Anyways, that brings me to the next question. Are there any affordable mono's to power a suggested woofer?

Anf what mids and highs would be nice, would I need a calculated enclosure for mids and highs?

I'm new to home audio, would love some help.

Thanks!

I'm no professional but I can at least provide my input. With your home audio, a 250 - 500 RMS sub would be good enough unless you want wall-shaking, picture frame-dropping bass. I suggest not going with anything too crazy of course but you already know that, the higher the power, the more likely you're gonna be making walls, floors, and stuff shake and fall off cabinets, tables or whatever.

I can't vouch whether or not you need a calculated enclosure for mids and highs since again, I'm no pro. As long as the enclosure is not too big or way too small, you should be good - don't take my advice lol, I know nothing.

I'll tell you my setup if that gives you some idea- (I'm not suggesting it, especially the sub)

I have some cheap 200w or so "outdoor"  Marcato 12" Sub (I know, not ideal, it's just what we had laying around)

A "500 Watt"  RCA Amp that my dad found on the side of the road (This has a sub output along with the left and right outputs).

I have 4 Kicker 6x9s in a box that's probably too big, but I like it (much better than TV speakers).

I don't know if you'd prefer separate mids and highs say, 6.5s and tweeters. The 6x9s did it for me, I don't need some HiFi setup so they were good enough, pretty loud and much better than the TV speakers, but it's up to you.

I'd look into Home Audio Receivers unless you want to be having a power supply hooked up to a car amp. I think stuff like Yamaha, Onkyo, are supposed to be pretty good. Look around to see if you can find them used since I think they're really expensive new, pawn shop, craigslist, etc.

In the end, I think I probably confused you instead of helping lol, sorry 

• 2 months later...
On 10/2/2017 at 3:37 PM, aygobasshead said:

Hello guys,

I'm wanting to start some kind of 2.1 home audio build. Nothing 7.1 ultra high tech.

Just want some good ass mids and highs and a decent sub that does lows.

Now I'm wondering, what kind of sub would be nice? I was thinking 250 watts to 500 watts of RMS should be enough to do well right?

Anyways, that brings me to the next question. Are there any affordable mono's to power a suggested woofer?

Anf what mids and highs would be nice, would I need a calculated enclosure for mids and highs?

I'm new to home audio, would love some help.

Thanks!

DIYSOUNDGROUP would be my vote. They have a bunch of kits for Home theater that are really nice. Also look at stereointegrity for sub options or partsexpress. DIY and Partsexpress has speakers and sub kits you can put together. Get a good sub kit with a plate amp and let it eat. 

The most affordable amps that actually put out rated power IMO are from Outlaw Audio. They have a really nice 5 channel for around $600 that puts out 120 watts rms into 8 ohms. There are a ton of options but for what you seem to be look for a subwoofer plate amp from Partsexpress and a 5 channel amp from Outlaw would be a really nice combo. Plan on most of your money going to the amp...just like in car audio a lot of times. The other option is get the speaker kits and pair them with the behringer pro audio amps like the iNUKE3000dsp. It has a built in DSP crossover which you can use to mess around with different driver configs, then use Torres calc to build your enclosures. 

See above to your third question, get a kit. Start there. If you want to design and build your own speaker it going to be a lot more complicated. If you're feeling froggy you can check out MiniDSP for active crossover options and plate amps. They have a bunch of stuff thats fun to play with. 

Archived