Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer enclosure design apps

06RTCharger

Tried winisd on my comp, it wasnt fun. Not because of the program, but because my comp is shit and slow af. Id MUCH rather use a iphone/ipad than a desktop. So i found this app today and just tried it out. Its called Subwooferboxlite and its free. I had a lil researching to do filling out the specs portion for my sub. Wasnt sure what PE(w) was but since it had a w at the end i figured it was watts and just entered the amount of power i would be giving the sub which is about 1500, but the subs rms is 800. Wasnt sure which to use, 800 is the RMS but thats not the power i would be using. Another one i wasnt sure with was the 1w/1m. My sub says 2.83v/1m 88db. I know they are equal values when using a 8ohm driver. But my sub is a 4ohm, but its dual 4ohm. And i will be wiring each sub up to 8ohm, so i assumed that mean its pretty much making it an 8ohm driver? So i used 88 for that. The one thing i couldnt find for my sub is the VD(l), i found that its asking for the cones air displacement, but thats not listed on the subs specs. 

Can some of you enclosure designers try out the app and see how accurate it is. Pros and cons? Thoughts on the app? 

Oh also when it asks for xmax, my sub lists a two-way xmax of 47. I didnt know if two-way is the common use or if one way is common. I used 1way 23.5. Also the metric/standard can be toggled in the settings area. I used metric for the specs becuase thats what my subs specs were in. Then switched to standard for the box specs.

apple or android? ive messed around with the Ultimate Car Audio App for android with some decent results. theres a free version and paid version. i know it doesnt really answer your question but maybe play around with it to see if you like it 

If i'm not mistaken, you can calculate cone volume displacement by multiplying the Sd (cone area) by the one way Xmax. Just make sure the Sd and Xmax are the in the same units before you multiply. For instance, Sd is generally given in terms of cm2 and Xmax in mm. Convert Sd to mm2 or Xmax to cm. Weirdly enough, your Sd is given in mm2 so you don't have to convert. 

Two way Xmax is the amount of travel from the top of it's limits to the bottom of it's limits (I don't know exactly how to word it). In other words, it's the total length of travel (not to be confused with Xmech or mechanical limits). All of the programs i've used want one way Xmax so dividing it in half should be fine. 

3 hours ago, DLHgn said:

If i'm not mistaken, you can calculate cone volume displacement by multiplying the Sd (cone area) by the one way Xmax. Just make sure the Sd and Xmax are the in the same units before you multiply. For instance, Sd is generally given in terms of cm2 and Xmax in mm. Convert Sd to mm2 or Xmax to cm. Weirdly enough, your Sd is given in mm2 so you don't have to convert. 

Two way Xmax is the amount of travel from the top of it's limits to the bottom of it's limits (I don't know exactly how to word it). In other words, it's the total length of travel (not to be confused with Xmech or mechanical limits). All of the programs i've used want one way Xmax so dividing it in half should be fine. 

Ok, so i have a dumb question lol. I tried finding an answer on google but couldnt figure out the right phrase to search. How do u multiply the regular number with a squared number? Do i have to break down the squared number first? To make it two whole/plain numbers. Lol serious question, thanks.

To answer your question, you can just multiply the squared number by the single unit. They will equal a cubed unit which indicates your volume. Think of it this way. If I want to find the volume of a rectangle (think of a port) I can 

A.) Multiply the width, height and depth to find the total volume (width of port, height of port and length of port)

or 

B.) If I already know the area of the face, I can multiply by the depth (port area multiplied by the port length)

As long as your units are the same, regardless of it's power, you will be fine (mm and mm2 or in and in2 etc.) 

As for your google search, just a note, it multiplied the area and length to find mm3 then converted it to liters. 

Archived