Sundown Audio

Best amp brands/ question about toasty amps

LOWrider

Hey guys, I have a few quick questions, and I think this is the correct place to ask them. First off, here is a quick link to my setup - https://imgur.com/a/YFlwk (four TREO SSX15.22 subs with four Memphis 1000D amps [one per sub]). 

Now, for the main questions. I have my wall of 15's running 4 1k watt amps. I'm considering upgrading amps and looking at maybe two 4000 watt amps, or even two 4500's, but I'm completely unaware of what amplifier brands are leading right now. These Memphis' are almost 10 years old, yet they still work wonderfully. I just want to put more power down, have a little more fun. Could anyone point me in the direction of some better name brands? I'm not exactly positive on how much I'm open to spending, but if I can keep it under $1,200 that would be a good start (my mother is already irritated I have $600 in the truck, haha).

Follow up question! My amps (seen in the pictures at the base (lol) of the wall) are surrounded by a custom piece that fits the interior look of the truck. When my dad had the setup installed, he didn't have fans implanted because he only really cranked it up here and there, so they would never get super warm. However, I live in an area with a lot of other teenagers, so I turn it up fairly frequently and they definitely get warm, though I try not to get them searing, after all, I do need them to last. My question is, if I upgrade to, let's say two 4k dual channel amps, would they heat up faster? The reason I ask is I was thinking, if an amp is powering one sub, it only has so much pull. But once it starts powering two, you have double the pull and I would assume they would get hot quickly. Maybe it would be smarter to get four 2k amps?

If this makes no sense, just keep in mind it's 1am. I'll elaborate as needed. Thanks for any and all help guys!

The number of subs doesn’t effect how hot an amp gets. The final load of the subs that the amp “sees” does. An amp wired at 1ohm will generate more heat than an amp wired at 2ohm or 4ohm, due to less efficiency at a lower resistance. The number of subs comes in to play when you want more heat dissipation through more loads. 

As far as would upgrading your amps be better for heat and efficiency? Yes. If those are ten year old amps, then changing to an amp with newer tech/heat sink design would benefit you in the aspect of efficiency. I don’t think you’ll have any luck finding a 4kw dual channel amp though. Plenty of 4k monoblocks though. Choose wisely, cheap is cheap for a reason.

If you've never put these into protect, then keep banging em.

I would leave the setup as is and add cooling IF you start noticing them going into protect.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

13 hours ago, reedal said:

The number of subs doesn’t effect how hot an amp gets. The final load of the subs that the amp “sees” does. An amp wired at 1ohm will generate more heat than an amp wired at 2ohm or 4ohm, due to less efficiency at a lower resistance. The number of subs comes in to play when you want more heat dissipation through more loads. 

As far as would upgrading your amps be better for heat and efficiency? Yes. If those are ten year old amps, then changing to an amp with newer tech/heat sink design would benefit you in the aspect of efficiency. I don’t think you’ll have any luck finding a 4kw dual channel amp though. Plenty of 4k monoblocks though. Choose wisely, cheap is cheap for a reason.

Alright, good to know. I was pretty sure upgrading would help in several aspects. I'm just getting into car audio, this is my father's old set up that he let me buy from him, so I am not fully aware of things like how hard it is to find a dual channel 4k. You get what you pay for, I know that for sure. Thanks! 

9 hours ago, WalledSonic said:

If you've never put these into protect, then keep banging em.

I would leave the setup as is and add cooling IF you start noticing them going into protect.

I'm an anxious type dude, I don't know I'll ever push them into protect unless I compete (and that's probably not happening with this build lol)

Thanks for the help guys!

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2018 at 12:07 PM, Mack187Murder said:

Sundown audio..DC audio.for the high priced triple A grade.

Cresendo audio for cheaper but good quality B grade..

That's all.i know

Someone told you wrong then... DC and cresendo 3.5k is the same exact board. Matter of fact the cresendo comes with a fan and the DC doesn't so for an extra $150 you get the "get on our level" silk screen on the DC... Woo hoo!!

The extra money for dc will get u a warranty tho. Crescendo is known for horrible customer service. Id look at neither. There are other options for way cheaper that are good quality and offer a good warranty as well.

Archived