So I have used my dd1+ 3 times now in two years. First setup my truck with kicker zx amps. Second hyundai with jbl gto 3 channel.  Seemed to work ok the first time. The second time I thought it was just a shitty jbl amp. So I did the deck test has factory head unit with audio control box added in. It clipped at like 32 out of 50 I think it was. so I than plugged rca in the amp and moved on to the next track to set the gain on the amp. The amp was all ready clipping from what the dd1+ said at zero gain. SO I gave up after 30 mins of trying to set it with the dd1+ and set it by hear. so now year and half goes by I pull it out and thought maybe I should add some more overlap to the zx amps since I'm putting in new speakers and subs. So now I'm haven the same problem again. The deck in the truck is a pioneer prs deck no clipping until 60 on deck. Now I plug the amp rca back in and gain set to zero  check the amp.  Clipping again.  eq flat crossover off on amps and deck. full signal going to amps. Could I be doing something wrong?

If its working on the deck then its not broke, it has no way to distinguish what it is hooked up too (ie a deck, rca, or amp).
Most likely may have subwoofer volume or SLA turned up too high, both will cause distortion if set too high.

IIRC neither the SLA or Subwoofer volume be distortion free when either are turned all the way up (even though the headunit volume is distortion free, those other 2 need to be manually adjusted).

So your best to find the max headunit volume with those other 2 settings at 0, then turn SLA up until you see distortion (usually around volume 2-4). Then do the same for subwoofer volume that goes from -10db to 0db or something like that.

Re-Read the manual on page 12 as well.

10. Play track 1 on test CD
11. Set the headunit’s bass, treble, EQ’s, crossovers to flat
12. Set the headunit’s volume to the maximum undistorted volume setting that was measured with the DD-1+ previously.
13. The unit should display 40Hz Detect, along with the voltage reading of the signal.
14. Slowly turn up the amplifier’s gain setting until the Distortion LED illuminates continuously.  Leave Gain Setting such that Distortion LED remains on, then PRESS "READ" button.
15. Change track to 3 on test CD, DD-1+ will show current gain overlap setting.  
16. Adjust the gain control on the amplifier until the desired gain overlap setting is achived.