Second Skin Audio

Sub suggestion and 4th order help

Justin_1990

My Dimensions are as follows 34"W x 16.5"D x 14"H with that space is it possible to build a 4th order box that can house 2 8" subs? My amp is an Audiopipe APCL1500.1 Subs are still to be determined. I'd like the cost per sub to be $200 or less per sub. I'm not looking to replace my amp as I like my Audiopipe and it works well pushing my 2 Alpines currently. Just wanting to know if there is enough space available for 2 8's in a 4th order and if so what 8's would you guys recommend to be pushed by this amp. Electrical wise my car is solid and holds 13.7 at full tilt with two Alpine Type R d4's on my amp currently. Thanks!

What's your reasoning for wanting a bandpass box?

In the space you have available you could easily run a single ported12" or possibly even two ported 10"s. Both of which will stomp the hell out of two 8s in a bandpass box. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I def don't want a single 12. I want 2 of whatever option would fit best in the space that's why I chose 8s. Currently I've got 2 12s that Joex actually helped design the box for  they hit hard there just lacking in the sound quality department. I want something that hits lows good but also sounds good when I throw on some rock. As for the bandpass I've just always liked how they look and sound. But I'm open to any type of box that'll fit as long as it can hold 2 subs and sound good. I don't care for shaking the whole block I just like some boom in the cabin

What's your reason for wanting two of something? Generally speaking, since you want more sound quality, I would go with a ported box. Bandpass can perform very well but generally lack a large bandwidth. Ported can get you pretty flat from low to high if done right. 

1 hour ago, DLHgn said:

What's your reason for wanting two of something? Generally speaking, since you want more sound quality, I would go with a ported box. Bandpass can perform very well but generally lack a large bandwidth. Ported can get you pretty flat from low to high if done right. 

So can a bandpass, if done right. 

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

2 hours ago, Justin_1990 said:

I def don't want a single 12. I want 2 of whatever option would fit best in the space that's why I chose 8s. Currently I've got 2 12s that Joex actually helped design the box for  they hit hard there just lacking in the sound quality department. I want something that hits lows good but also sounds good when I throw on some rock. As for the bandpass I've just always liked how they look and sound. But I'm open to any type of box that'll fit as long as it can hold 2 subs and sound good. I don't care for shaking the whole block I just like some boom in the cabin

Close the port to see if sealed is right for you, if still not good enough maybe get SQ drivers then, also 8" drivers are not necessarily of better for SQ, many are designed to play as loud as possible rather than provide improved SQ.

29 minutes ago, WalledSonic said:

So can a bandpass, if done right. 

As far as I knew bandpasses had relatively small bandwidths with large roll-offs on either side.

1 hour ago, DLHgn said:

As far as I knew bandpasses had relatively small bandwidths with large roll-offs on either side.

They can have pretty wide bandwidth, by car audio standards.  The low end boost you get from cabin gain helps widen the bandwidth significantly.  In the end though the goals of wide bandwidth and max efficiency do become mutually exclusive.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

1 hour ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

They can have pretty wide bandwidth, by car audio standards.  The low end boost you get from cabin gain helps widen the bandwidth significantly.  In the end though the goals of wide bandwidth and max efficiency do become mutually exclusive.  

Yeah, you usually sacrifice bandwidth for max output. 

Archived