Sonic Electronix

Subwoofer/port placement Nissan Rogue

So right now just to have a system up.and running I am using a piece of garbage (my opinion) Atrend enclosure to house my two HDS312s in my Nissan Rogue.  The box has the subs and port on the same plane, and right now they're firing towards the rear, a little over a foot back from the rear hatch.  

I'm looking for opinions from anyone with experience with smaller SUVs such as the Rogue.  Does the "subs up, port back" rule apply to smaller SUVs as far as SPL is concerned?  I don't want to waste money, well, I can't really waste money buying materials to build two boxes in case firing up and back doesnt work out.  

Eventually I am going to remove the rear seats and wall in 4 12s, upgrading to the HDC series, or maybe even switching to Fi, not.sure yet, but for now I have the plans for a 7.2 cubic foot gross box (5.2 cubic foot net) for these two subs right now, again, just don't know if the yield in a smaller SUV is different than the big boys as far as subs up port back...

Thanks in advance!!

Sting 

Well, I'll tell you this much, I modified the Atrend box a little bit and installed some aluminum threaded rod, aluminum nuts, split and flat washers to use as studs/terminals on the side of the box.  This was to basically turn the prefab into a test box.  The first test I tried was facing the subs forward.  I folded the rear seats down, put the box all the way forward to about 3 inches from the front seats, and it sounded absolutely horrific.  I expected this, well, not to that degree, but if it were a wall it would be different.  I walled a Saturn about ten years ago and, though the car was much smaller than the Rogue, I faced a prefab in that car facing forward and from what I can recall it didn't sound "this" bad. 

The second position was also facing forward, only this time I placed the box behind the rear seats so that the seats could be put up and the box was right against them, well, there was a small gap due to the crevice caused by the angle of the seat back...   Anyway, I did not test it with the seats up, I tested it with the seats folded down, and it made a considerable difference.  Still wasn't as loud as when I had the subs and port facing rear, about a foot from the hatch, but still sounded a lot louder and a lot better than when they were 3 inches from the front seats. 

The last test was facing up, and again, because it's an Atrend box, the subs and port are on the same plane, so subs up, port up.  Again I positioned the box right up against the back seats in the upright position and left them up while playing.  This was loud, very loud, but it seems something was still missing, the same thing that was missing when the box was facing rear.  This is why I am thinking that subs up, port back is the way to go here.  With proper positioning for the sub waves and port waves to hit in phase, I am sure this will provide that missing link that I've had in every other build which wasn't an SUV. 

I hope this helps somewhat with your Ford.  Have you tried a CRX style set up with it yet?  Since it's a Focus hatch back, that would have been my first go to. 

With the Rogue, this actually opens up some doors.  I was going to wall the thing, but now I am thinking of a very large box built from just behind the middle of the car all the way to one foot from the hatch.  Subs up, port back, tuned to 33Hz or so, and for this event I am thinking 4 HDC 15's.  Problem is, I'm gonna need something stupid to push them.  One BC2000D or even two strapped are no where NEAR what the HDCs want. 

Anyway, this is future stuff, I still may wall it, too, lol, in the end.  I just hope what I wrote gives you some foresight into your Focus set up!

Sting

Wish I had an answer. All I've ever had was underseat truck boxes and sub back/port back trunk boxes. Although I just bought a dodge caliber for a daily and will be doing a install in it. Kind of similar but smaller than the rogue. So I'm tuned in for an answer as well,

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

14 hours ago, camshairtricks said:

well sub up port back in my kia soul is the loudest no doubt about that iv tried them all . sub an port up sounded ok also 

The KIA Soul was actually what I was looking at before I bought the Rogue, it was actually all between the Soul, Rogue, and a CR-V.  Looking back I kind of wish I went with the CR-V, but hind sight, right?  I am still trying to decide on whether to just wall it or build something like the old school circa 2006 or 2007 Steve Meade Tahoe with the RE MTs and the RF BD1500s powering them.  I still remember the look of that build and I friggen loved it.  Of course I believe it was in his Tahoe, which has a crap ton more room than my little Rogue, but I should have enough cubic footage for 4 12's, maybe even 4 15's if I build up a little higher.  Either way, it needs to wait until I have the time to strip this out and rebuild, and I just don't have that time right now. 

Archived