1999 BMW 528i wagon build/rebuild

Just a report back, got to drive and beat on it today.  All my hardest hitting demo songs, just wanging on it (as much as it can)...

Could NOT get the voltage to drop below 13.9.  And whenever it did it was almost instantly back up to 14.5.  lithium FTMFW!!!!

Blows my mind.  So excited to have the electrical mostly sorted.

Now time to source some new subs, can't decide if I want to wall with 4 xfls or do 2 monster 12s on 5k...

21 hours ago, mmpannekake said:

looking good, did mike have to do anything special for your alternator to fit or did it just bolt in with the normal pulley? 
did you run your wires on the drivers side of the car or did you just route it in the back of the engine over from the passenger side? 

I actually sent mike my old failed alt so he had something to work from, luckily he had already done alts for the e39 (and several others)  and knew what was going on.  he added a pulley, i use the outer 4 ribs of the pulley and it works great, tho i think i'll need like a 5mm or 10mm shorter belt to combat startup squeal.

as for the 2/0, i ran it down the drivers side.  took out the driver's seat, ran it up under the drivers cabin filter then out to the alt.  it was ultimately very low effort compared to what i was expecting, knowing bmw and tight tolerances lol

• 8 months later...

so had the car in the garage today and felt some motivation since it was finally under 95°

back in the winter i had a buddy ask me if i wanted some 7.6v lithium cells from a nissan leaf, for free.  I did some research on em and said yeah sure hook it up, well he grabbed me 20 of the fuckers.  I had plans to use em as a reserve cell for the stereo, but first needed to figure out how to combine them and whatnot.  Now each cell pack has 2 3.8v cells inside making each pack a 7.6v cell essentially.  After I got them series/paralleled together I figured out they like being in groups of 8 I set them up on a charge on my bench.  Being that i was using an automotive charger it was going to reach 14.4v and not go any higher.  I did more research on the cells and what kind they are and found out that these lithium cells dont care if they're not charged to full charge, they just operate as normal.  I set them on a charge back in early may/end of april for about a week.  After taking them off i let them sit on my bench and checked their resting voltage each week to make sure i didnt have any dead/faulty cells.  

Well, when i checked them this morning the resting voltage was at 14.38.  it was at 14.4 as of 5/12/18.  I'd say that's holding pretty steady. so now I have an additional lithium bank of 8 individual cells, each cell is rated for 540A peak current, and 58aH.  So this new bank has an effective reserve of 464aH and max discharge current of 540A.

So not including my stock size group H8 AGM, I now have a combined 534aH of lithium.  holy balls thats the first time i mathed that out.

so yeah here's some pictures, keep in mind this is more of a "proof of concept" stage, so the positioning, amount of cabling, isnt finished, i want to make sure it does what it's supposed to before i add another bank of 8 and finish the install properly.

oh also i made my own terminal mounts for my 70ah bank because no one makes any that go down the side and space is at a super premium where i have that battery.

ok to the pics (sorry there aren't more):

20180706_181534copy.thumb.jpg.fa94d2a90a2b1dca62959f3daf8281c8.jpg

20180706_181626copy.thumb.jpg.80f45caeec816f05516515b5764bd328.jpg

20180706_190719copy.thumb.jpg.0236b4659f5d671fba27b68f885ee9e6.jpg

And no none of the cells are bulging, i had the blue bank lifted out of its base so they separated a little when i was torquing on em.

i have no idea what happened to the text formatting up there, but forgive me.  i cant figure out how to fix it.

so yeah, if this all works as it should (and following some much needed maintenance on the ol' girl), it will be time to chuck in my 5k finally, and rebuild 2 more XFLs, run that bitch at 0.5 and see if i can break something else!

Archived