Sudden Oil leak after oil change

Greetings guys! I just changed the oil on my 2006 Lincoln Navigator. I was sure to tighten the screw on the oil pan and the filter. Everything seemed fine, but I started to smell burning oil. I figured that I must've wasted oil on the engine. Once I parked my truck, I noticed that oil was leaking bad. I crawled underneath the truck to see where the leak was coming from. The entire bottom of my truck was covered in oil. I noticed that the leak was coming from the top, so I'm suspecting the filter. There was no leak at all before. The filter that I purchase was smaller than the one I removed, but I just read that the size varies for the same vehicle so I'm ruling that out. Can anybody help me? I'm losing 2 quarts of oil or more daily. Thanks in advance!

John  

Damn, that sucks.  

My recommendation, (I do fleet oil changes at work) is to start all over.  New oil filter, new oil.  Drain it dry again, then carefully replace the oil drain plug to proper torque spec.   Install the new filter snugly, after cleaning the engine of oil and residue.  Slowly add one quart at a time and have an assistant watch for leaks.  If no leaks are immediately visible, leave it parked over a big slab of cardboard, and search for an origin point of the leak the next morning or every few hours.

I suspect the filter seal may be faulty.  Report back with results.  Oh, and welcome to the forum.

If you pull the filter off you might check as see if the gasket from the previous filter got left behind. It happens sometimes and it will leak like crazy. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

1 hour ago, John E said:

@Triticum Agricolam That makes a lot of sense! I just purchased the truck, and if has had me busy repairing different things. I'm almost positive that the previous owner did not properly maintain the truck. Question, if I find that the old filter is still there, will I need to purchase another oil filter?

Nope, you can use the filter you have on there now.  If you take off the filter and you see that the old gasket is still stuck on the sealing flange, you just peel the old one off, wipe off the sealing flange where it was with a paper towel and put your filter back on.  You should be good to go then.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Like said above it sounds like the old oil filter gasket stayed on the engine. You can usually tell when it does this cause the oil filter never seems to get tight and feels "soft". 

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

My penis is bigger than your penis

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.

Archived