Sundown Audio

I need a new amp ( suggestions )

HighlanderAudio

Hey guys

Quick version: Need an amp for 100-150$ 2ohm stable 1000rms for Kicker L7 12" DVC

I dont usually need help finding what i want online, but it seems like i do this time.

I have a Kicker L7 12" Solo Baric DVC 4ohm subwoofer that i need a new amp for. My crappy Sony amp is just way too underpowered.

The sub is rated for 750rms ( can most likely handle more ). So i need a 1000rms amplifier stable at 2ohm ( bridged or unbridged ). I dont like to run my amplifiers at max gains, so i believe 1000rms should make it so i can run near 75%.

I looked at a few less-than-100$ amp DYNOs and they just wont give me enough power. I do notice there are quite a few options for the 100-150$ range, but i need help picking one. I havent had to buy a new amp for over 15 years, so im out of the loop. ANY info and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys!

56 minutes ago, mathewyocham said:

Try looking at skar audios rp line of amps. Pioneer has a good 1200 watt amp too that should give wat u need at 2 ohms.

Do you think the Skar Audio RP-1500.1D would be enough?

Its rated at 1500w @ 1ohm. If ran at 2ohm, it would be 750rms. This would mean i would have to nearly max out the gains to achieve the 750rms the subwoofer wants. Which to me, isnt a good idea.

I also see the Skar Audio Rp-2000.1D rated at 2000rms @ 1ohm, or 1000rms @ 2ohm. Only problem is its a bit out of my budget. I could save a while longer if its a must.

Actually the rp1500.1 was wat i was thinkn. That amp will probly put out close to 1000 rms dynamiccally. Gains r not volume. U must use an oscope or dd1 to set gains properly. Others on here could help with a box for that sub/amp combo. Just be careful as any clipping while overpowering will fry the woofer.

48 minutes ago, mathewyocham said:

Actually the rp1500.1 was wat i was thinkn. That amp will probly put out close to 1000 rms dynamiccally. Gains r not volume. U must use an oscope or dd1 to set gains properly. Others on here could help with a box for that sub/amp combo. Just be careful as any clipping while overpowering will fry the woofer.

Sadly, i dont own a DD1 or oscilloscope and upon looking them up, i cant afford one.

Correct me if im wrong, which i probably am, but if an amp is 1000rms, wouldnt it make sense the gain would need to be about 75% up to get 750rms? ( and all the way up to get 1000rms?)

1 hour ago, HighlanderAudio said:

Sadly, i dont own a DD1 or oscilloscope and upon looking them up, i cant afford one.

Correct me if im wrong, which i probably am, but if an amp is 1000rms, wouldnt it make sense the gain would need to be about 75% up to get 750rms? ( and all the way up to get 1000rms?)

Absolutely incorrect. Your gain setting depends on the RCA voltage going into the amp. Think of it as a multiplier. So if you feed it a lot of RCA voltage, the gain might only need to be at 25% to make 1000w. If you have low RCA voltage, it might need the gain at 90% to make 1000w. Regardless, it is making 1000w, but if you have high RCA voltage, and turn the gain too high, you risk clipping, which can led to amplifier failure and subwoofer failure.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Archived