Second Skin Audio

Critique my design/help with port

dryvr12

1 hour ago, deathcards said:

btw  number of ports combines width and height and diameter and goes down the middle on tuning this is weird

just wanna make sure on accuracy

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking, but changing any one of those fields changes tuning significantly.

1 hour ago, ChevyBoy95 said:

Im saying, you can use those dimensions, like port area and length, and restructure the overall dimensions to meet those parameters (main thing is getting port area to sufficient size and well as proper volume). Regardless of box size (cubic, or rectangular, or whatever), if you keep the same port area, port length, and volume, the tuning will be the same.

Gotcha, I will play with their design a bit tomorrow. Quick question though, I pulled up the sketch up file and noticed this strip is higher than any other part of the box. Having trouble visualizing if this is a front ported or top ported box. What height would be used for port volume?

snip.JPG

2 hours ago, dryvr12 said:

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking, but changing any one of those fields changes tuning significantly.

Gotcha, I will play with their design a bit tomorrow. Quick question though, I pulled up the sketch up file and noticed this strip is higher than any other part of the box. Having trouble visualizing if this is a front ported or top ported box. What height would be used for port volume?

I suspect that strip is an error in the Sketchup model.  That panel should probably be the same width as the other panels (14").

The box is front ported and the port dimensions are 14" tall and 2" wide.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

6 hours ago, dryvr12 said:

Ok, I put the SA box design into the calculator just to verify. Am I doing something wrong here?

Also is the port length on the pre-designed box = 30.75" (1 1/4 + 13 + 16.5)? Just want to make sure I understand the port length dimension

The port is going to be longer than that because you measured the length of the panels, but port length is measured down the center line of the port.  I can't tell what it should be from the pic, but its going to be several inches longer. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived