Second Skin Audio

Pretty sure sub is damaged.. pic included

akuma4u

The surround is buckling under pressure most likely because its torn on the inside, but not all the way through. Most likely from over excursion due to playing beyond the means of your enclosure, to much power, or a combination of the two.

The ZV3 line was always more spl oriented and excelled in that so much that it was replaced by the ZV4, only to be brought back out from its discontinued life to fill that need that many seek.
The torn surround will cause it to lose stability and keep the moving assembly linear which will cause it to rock and sound distorted and make other funny noises.

A recone is definitely needed!

10 hours ago, audiofanaticz said:

The surround is buckling under pressure most likely because its torn on the inside, but not all the way through. Most likely from over excursion due to playing beyond the means of your enclosure, to much power, or a combination of the two.

The ZV3 line was always more spl oriented and excelled in that so much that it was replaced by the ZV4, only to be brought back out from its discontinued life to fill that need that many seek.
The torn surround will cause it to lose stability and keep the moving assembly linear which will cause it to rock and sound distorted and make other funny noises.

A recone is definitely needed!

Thanks. Thats what i thought as well but many others told me it was fine and not that big of an issue. The guys at sundown are recommending that i upgrade to zv4 parts.  They are as follows: zv4 coil. X version 2 spider spl cone. 12 inch frame gasket and terminal. 

I did not get a chance to ask them if this inclides the thick fat foam surround from the zv4. Also..would this upgrade still keep my zv3 a zv3 or am i basically changing it to a zv4? Will the sound change? Will box specs and other parameters change amd if so how? Will i get louder and have more xmax?

• 4 weeks later...

i have an update and further questioning..

I went ahead and purchased the reconing parts due to the issue i had with my sub with the crease/inside tear type issue going all the way around the sub...

after i paid i did some research on the parts i bought,.. one of the parts is an SPL surround.. i found a pic of this surround next to the mega roll surround. When i saw the pic i got worried because you can see the exact same crease issue that i originally was complaining about with my zv3. I have added a pic and you can see the outline/indentation of the crease. This is a pic of a brand new foam roll. So now im confused as I am thinking maybe this crease is normal and its suppose to be this way? I certainly hope not because that means i do not require the recone.

2njh8ic.jpg

Archived