lithium management?

question for all you, after installing my lithium i've had some pretty rock solid performance.  however, my cell is rated at 12.8v and my singer is charging them at 14.4-5.  is there something i should do or add or is this ok?  the manufacturer told me i should use a bms, but im a little n00b on lithium and not entirely sure what to do.

TIA!

First off, what lihtium are you using that rest at 12.8? Most of them are made of lithium phospate which have cells at 3.3 volt. The 4 cells you have then make them rest in the 13.2 to 13.3 range. 

Second there are higher end BMS systems (in production vehicle i.e. Chevy Volt) that limit the amount of current and voltage that enter into the system. I'm not sure if as a consumer you could buy anything like that

1349713160_rte.png

6 hours ago, rocking.that.eclipse said:

First off, what lihtium are you using that rest at 12.8? Most of them are made of lithium phospate which have cells at 3.3 volt. The 4 cells you have then make them rest in the 13.2 to 13.3 range. 

Second there are higher end BMS systems (in production vehicle i.e. Chevy Volt) that limit the amount of current and voltage that enter into the system. I'm not sure if as a consumer you could buy anything like that

http://www.electriccarpartscompany.com/70Ah-CALB-Battery x 4 buss'd to 12.8

also, i just noted that the max charge voltage for 4 cells is 14.4v.  does that mean with my alt charging at 14.4 i should be fine?

20 hours ago, corey0928 said:

Look up what the max charging voltage your battery can sustain. You really don't want to overcharge a lithium battery. A BMS is great but only if it disconnects the battery from the alternator/power source

max charge voltage per cell is 3.6v, which with them tied together to make a 12.8v cell, thatd make the max charge voltage 14.4 right?  if so, with my alt charging at 14.4, i should be ok?

• 2 weeks later...

you'll be just fine.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

Archived