Second Skin Audio

Sealed enclosure leaking help ! Dual 12 2000 rms

Dragonware

Hi guys thanks to all who helped me prior to this . I built it put it in bumped and hella air escapping from around the sub and bolt holes. 

Back story i used a skill saw to cut my angles so it wasnt perfect i used glue nails and silicone seems to closed the box  but.

I used t nuts on the subs which did not agree with the mdf and i had a hard time with them falling out i think i finally got them in but cant tighten them down enough to make a good seal.

Im considering taking the subs out filling the bolt holes with wood filler and silicone. RTV silicone on one of the surrounds that might have been damaged by the bolt. 

Adding some weather stripping under the subs and just use regular wood screws.

Would you sugest anything diff ? Should i turn the subs slightly to get fresh wood to screw into instead of the wood filled holes ?  

Also should i ditch the rubber gasket that came with my RE Audio subs thry are more of a pain than anything to get screws in but it does fill the flush mount nicely 

Tha ks for your advice 

My Build log :

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/170934-dragonmobile-re-audio-2300rms-stealth-build-08-focus/

Current System

2020 Ford F-150 XLT Supercrew

Audio Control Epicenter

Audio Control LC7i

Taramp PRO 2.6 DSP

Taramp DS4x800 - Highs

Taramp HD3000.1  Mids

Taramp MD5000.1 Bass

8 x DS18 6.5 Pro x6m - mids 

2 x Soundsteam SST-05 Bullet Tweeter

2 x DS18 TW220 Super Tweeters

4 X SkarAudio EVL-8  BASS

Big 3 

Yellow Top

Sounds like you would be better off cutting and entire new front panel cutting a new hole for your sub and maybe more precise drilling of the mounting holes. Make a new panel and glue clamp and nail it over the existing one. The volume deviation should be negligible and on this one you can learn from the mistakes made on the first one. This way you won't have to take the box apart. With as many problems you listed you are gonna have a hell of a time getting the existing one to seal. 

I don't understand your comment about not being able to tighten down the bolts enough with the t-nuts to get them to seal.  Sounds like you most likely don't have the correct size bolt for the t-nuts you are trying to use. You should be able to crank your bolts down with t-nuts installed. Which are your using could you  post a pic?

If you are flush mounting just cut an additional piece and put it over the sub on the new one. You may need to remove the old one but that shouldn't be a big deal since you will cover it with this new piece anyway.

3 hours ago, Jonathan Mills said:

Sounds like you would be better off cutting and entire new front panel cutting a new hole for your sub and maybe more precise drilling of the mounting holes. Make a new panel and glue clamp and nail it over the existing one. The volume deviation should be negligible and on this one you can learn from the mistakes made on the first one. This way you won't have to take the box apart. With as many problems you listed you are gonna have a hell of a time getting the existing one to seal. 

I don't understand your comment about not being able to tighten down the bolts enough with the t-nuts to get them to seal.  Sounds like you most likely don't have the correct size bolt for the t-nuts you are trying to use. You should be able to crank your bolts down with t-nuts installed. Which are your using could you  post a pic?

If you are flush mounting just cut an additional piece and put it over the sub on the new one. You may need to remove the old one but that shouldn't be a big deal since you will cover it with this new piece anyway.

t nuts dont hold in mfd they just spin out and destroy the wood . the bolts are correct size. the box is already carpeted  and its built with specific space constrictions I cannot just add two more baffles.

23584489_10213770568719869_388809690_n.jpg

My Build log :

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/170934-dragonmobile-re-audio-2300rms-stealth-build-08-focus/

Current System

Audio Control Epicenter

Audio Control LC7i

Taramp PRO 2.6 DSP

Taramp DS4x800 - Highs

Taramp HD3000.1  Mids

Taramp MD5000.1 Bass

Big 3 

Yellow Top

That is a nice box not sure what the solution is to your leak hopefully someone else with have an answer. I have tried using all sorts of methods to plug holes like you are describing with minimal success.

I have used these t nuts with great success on multiple enclosures, not one has ever spun out like you are describing. I purchased them at the home depot.

Tnuts

image.png.c88b37ddfe415a7a5699979cae631e08.png

30 minutes ago, Jonathan Mills said:

That is a nice box not sure what the solution is to your leak hopefully someone else with have an answer. I have tried using all sorts of methods to plug holes like you are describing with minimal success.

I have used these t nuts with great success on multiple enclosures, not one has ever spun out like you are describing. I purchased them at the home depot.

Tnuts

image.png.c88b37ddfe415a7a5699979cae631e08.png

I will post pics when I remove the subs im goint to fill the holes with wood filler and silicone all seams again.  add some weather stripping underneath the rubber gasket  of the subs. Then use regular screws straight through gasket/weatherstripping into the wood directly hopefully that helps and  thankfully the surround on the sub is not damaged.

My Build log :

Current System

Audio Control Epicenter

Audio Control LC7i

Taramp PRO 2.6 DSP

Taramp DS4x800 - Highs

Taramp HD3000.1  Mids

Taramp MD5000.1 Bass

Big 3 

Yellow Top

Install the t-nuts first with the sub out so you know they have fully seated and will not spin, just get some washers or scraps of wood with a hole in it so you can tighten the bolts and seat the nut. Get some dowels to fit the holes you already drilled, and glue them in and cut them flush after it has dried. Stay away from fillers as it will make your life worse than it already is.

Another trick is to use some visegrips and pinch the t-nut into place.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

3 hours ago, Skullz said:

Install the t-nuts first with the sub out so you know they have fully seated and will not spin, just get some washers or scraps of wood with a hole in it so you can tighten the bolts and seat the nut. Get some dowels to fit the holes you already drilled, and glue them in and cut them flush after it has dried. Stay away from fillers as it will make your life worse than it already is.

Another trick is to use some visegrips and pinch the t-nut into place.

whats wrong with fillers ? i already got it  i can fill the holes with wood glue  trying to make use with what i already got 

My Build log :

Current System

Audio Control Epicenter

Audio Control LC7i

Taramp PRO 2.6 DSP

Taramp DS4x800 - Highs

Taramp HD3000.1  Mids

Taramp MD5000.1 Bass