Voltage drop

I didn't read every thing. But, are you guys saying that a pcm controlled rig shuts the alt completely off? Dropping to 12.6 means the alt isn' even on. Is that how the pcm stuff works??? I thought it just dropped it down to like 13.3 or some shit. 12.6 is battery rest. I'm a lol shocked they shut the alt off completely!?!? Please advise as I'm looking at a 06 silverado

It doesn't shut it off completely ... The pcm controls your voltage and drops or down when your driving at s higher rpm to save on gas..  it drops slowly and fluctuates instead of being a solid number... it also depends on what all you are running ... a.c. lights how many amps etc... There are company's that make PCM upgrades ... I have been researching... I'm also looking into getting a bracket made for a second altinator and just taking the a.c. compressor off... I don't use the a.c. anyway 

2 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

I didn't read every thing. But, are you guys saying that a pcm controlled rig shuts the alt completely off? Dropping to 12.6 means the alt isn' even on. Is that how the pcm stuff works??? I thought it just dropped it down to like 13.3 or some shit. 12.6 is battery rest. I'm a lol shocked they shut the alt off completely!?!? Please advise as I'm looking at a 06 silverado

Yes it sometimes shuts it off completely. Hit up Dan at US Alts, he's designing a control module. I already have my money in it, just waiting on release. 

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Lithium is great for PCM controlled vehicles btw. The higher resting voltage and voltage stability under load help negate the effects of the PCM lowering charge voltage and cutting off completely. Ill try to snap a vid of my large case hairpin PCM controlled alt turning off this next wk and send it to you. 

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

1 hour ago, Colorado guy said:

It doesn't shut it off completely ... The pcm controls your voltage and drops or down when your driving at s higher rpm to save on gas..  it drops slowly and fluctuates instead of being a solid number... it also depends on what all you are running ... a.c. lights how many amps etc... There are company's that make PCM upgrades ... I have been researching... I'm also looking into getting a bracket made for a second altinator and just taking the a.c. compressor off... I don't use the a.c. anyway 

If you or the OP or whatever is truly seeing 12.6 volts, its shutting completely off...... 12.6 is battery rest. Meaning the alt is doing nothing.  

1 hour ago, WalledSonic said:

Lithium is great for PCM controlled vehicles btw. The higher resting voltage and voltage stability under load help negate the effects of the PCM lowering charge voltage and cutting off completely. Ill try to snap a vid of my large case hairpin PCM controlled alt turning off this next wk and send it to you. 

Ya..no offence, but, i havent really cared for results ive seen from LITH at the moment. Adam (alpha blazer) has WAY way more money in his Jy 80's than we do on our large reserve,.... , BY A LOT, like, hundreds of dollars, like the 4 digit range,.. and drops more than we do, and we pull more amperage,... But, ya, we have the room and ability to carry it all, and he doesn't. 

we spent a LOT less, and i love our voltage at all times. Burps, demos, 30 second runs, 5 minute runs, whatever. Our elec is on fucking point.

I know, weight, space, and this and that, but, from what ive seen, with my own eyes,, yes, LITH works ok, but, imma stick with batts. Just personal opinion. My next build will stay with lead and caps man. Again, just personal want. 

34 minutes ago, Kyblack76 said:

Ya..no offence, but, i havent really cared for results ive seen from LITH at the moment. Adam (alpha blazer) has WAY way more money in his Jy 80's than we do on our large reserve,.... , BY A LOT, like, hundreds of dollars, like the 4 digit range,.. and drops more than we do, and we pull more amperage,... But, ya, we have the room and ability to carry it all, and he doesn't. 

we spent a LOT less, and i love our voltage at all times. Burps, demos, 30 second runs, 5 minute runs, whatever. Our elec is on fucking point.

I know, weight, space, and this and that, but, from what ive seen, with my own eyes,, yes, LITH works ok, but, imma stick with batts. Just personal opinion. My next build will stay with lead and caps man. Again, just personal want. 

AGM got depth. Especially at the limits. But a truck has no problem hauling hundreds of pounds either, so thats a viable option. I made the comment based on the fact LiFePo4 rests at 13.3. Half a volt higher resting wall makes a difference in a lil car like mine with a PCM controlled alternator

IG @walledsonic

Archived