Alternator charge wire

I have a mechman 250 amp alternator a XS 3400 under the hood a XP300 battery in back running a skar 3500 watt monoblock and a skar 4 channel amp.  My question is do I have too add another run of 0 gauge to the back battery from the alternator.  I just have the 1 run from the front battery to back.  I have also the big 3 done.  

Here is a pretty a pretty decent explanation image I found.

12f7285c4c7763489af45abe4adf3289--jeep-x

I do recommend at least 1 fuse, right before your under the hood battery, and as you can see many use a second fuse right before your trunk battery.

But a fuse is different from an isolator (Which most would say you should use)

An isolator helps manage the current between both of your batteries.  It should be installed somewhere between you two batteries (After your fuse, before your second fuse or second batter)

If you are using a mechman 250, you should get more than a 250A isolator.  Probably around 300A.  The larger the isolator, the better it will dissipate heat, and the longer it will last.

Oh, one more note.

You will notice in the example above they are running a ground between the two batteries.  I have see this done, and I have seen the back battery with its own grounding point.  I don't know which is technically more correct, but I have seen both work.  Hope all of this helped.

9 minutes ago, MrSkippyJ said:

zero need for an isolator. 

Was Just about to post the same thing.

An isolator is not needed.

For what your system consist of one run of 1/0 is fine.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Maybe I jumped the gun on this one.

The isolator is not going to serve a purpose unless you play your music with the car off.

But to clarify...

IF you run your system with the car off, you want an isolator so that your under-the-hood battery is not affected while you drain your trunk battery.

Archived