Sonic Electronix

Not really sure which sub to put this into so we're doing it here.  Hopefully this doesnt count as a VS thread since it's 2 specific pieces of measuring equipment and not brand vs the world type shit.

So I know I want one or the other for xmas this year.  My questions are basically, why would i want the termlab over the apm?  with the termlab i can only do testing (can't save scores) and thats basically the same for the apm.  I'm not really going to be competing or anything (yet), more just to map my own progress and validate my ears.  

I guess whatever help or knowledge you all have on either would be super so i can make the best decision for myself.

Thanks guys (and...gals?)

I would choose term lab because it is what every organization uses when competing. I don't know what organization you would compete in, but if you did ever want to compete, the term lab will let you practice with the specific class you would run. 

For example, I compete in db drag. One class is bass race. The apm2 doesn't have the software to practice that class. But I can practice with the term lab software. 

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

I love my TL also. Like homes said above, its what we run in the lanes, sooooo, its what we use for testing. If your dead set on NOT competing, and just looking for gains/losses after adjustments, get the cheaper of the two. But, i do love my TL. RTA with mic, bass race, burp, average runs on and on. Just make sure, whatever you chose, YOUR consistent, or neither will help. ;) 

Love my APM2 since I hate lugging around a laptop all the wires to go with it. Its accurate enough for my needs. 

7w1lnOR.jpg

2004 Bagged Trailblazer

(4)18" Sundown Nsv3s
(4) Taramps HD10000s, Taramps DSP3000, Lanzar opti 250x2, AB 100x4
(2)DC power SP 270s, (14)XS Power d3100s, (1)d6500

1 hour ago, Kyblack76 said:

I love my TL also. Like homes said above, its what we run in the lanes, sooooo, its what we use for testing. If your dead set on NOT competing, and just looking for gains/losses after adjustments, get the cheaper of the two. But, i do love my TL. RTA with mic, bass race, burp, average runs on and on. Just make sure, whatever you chose, YOUR consistent, or neither will help. ;) 

Kyle are you running the full magnum setup or just the rebel?

13 hours ago, bmwking said:

Kyle are you running the full magnum setup or just the rebel?

Full blown magnum. New RTA mic (which the fuckers switched MID SEASON on psyclone, assholes,... )   clamp meter,... entire nine yards.  Ill say, the entire reason, we just won a world ring/title at final just last month, was due to having the proper test gear.  Completely due to having the correct equipment. If we didnt have it, we would NOT have won. Thats a fact. It helped in a monster way.

I have only seen vids and pics of the AMP2, and it seems just fine for seeing what your shits doing.Seems accurate, and works. It just doesnt do what we do in the lanes.

Again, if your not gonna lane up, and just looking to test and tune,tweak test,  im sure it would do you fine. If your gonna lane up, and get in to it, like Brian said, .... id do the TL. Ya, it blows having a laptop to haul around, but shit,... i need one for my DSP adjustments (loading files for what run we do) , not to mention, i have that spare laptop with me at every show anyway. So, it dont bother me. Its all up to you bro. 

3 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

Full blown magnum. New RTA mic (which the fuckers switched MID SEASON on psyclone, assholes,... )   clamp meter,... entire nine yards.  Ill say, the entire reason, we just won a world ring/title at final just last month, was due to having the proper test gear.  Completely due to having the correct equipment. If we didnt have it, we would NOT have won. Thats a fact. It helped in a monster way.

I have only seen vids and pics of the AMP2, and it seems just fine for seeing what your shits doing.Seems accurate, and works. It just doesnt do what we do in the lanes.

Again, if your not gonna lane up, and just looking to test and tune,tweak test,  im sure it would do you fine. If your gonna lane up, and get in to it, like Brian said, .... id do the TL. Ya, it blows having a laptop to haul around, but shit,... i need one for my DSP adjustments (loading files for what run we do) , not to mention, i have that spare laptop with me at every show anyway. So, it dont bother me. Its all up to you bro. 

yeah i was a couple strohs in when i asked that stupid question lol  of course you, of all people, have the full blown rig.  

I think i like that i can add the power probe and other accessories to the rebel in the future if i decided to.  and i have a spare laptop that i use for bmw coding only, so having one more piece of software and the ability to accurately document scores wouldn't be an issue.

I think i like the simplicity of the apm, but im a perpetual tweaker (projects, not drugs) and i think the rebel would facilitate that.  plus i might be able to sell time with it for tuning...

Yeah having the power clamp with the term lab is a very useful tool. I love knowing easily exactly what power my subs are seeing. Helps dialing in for clamped classes. And like kyle said, having the right tools is how I've won all of my bass race wins. 

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

Archived