Need help finding my perfect subwoofer

Jake the snake

Regardless of what speaker your choose, if you are really determined to to play that low, you are going to need to build your own box or have someone build one for you.  Your tuning needs to be 20 - 25 or we are back to unloading again.

You want tight punchy bass and be able to play 20hz just as loud too? From small subs? How much power are you going to run? This is not easy to do and will take a lot of power (at least several kilowatts). I am willing to bet that you won't get there with a pre fab box. The ports will be too small and tuned too high. Forget the conclusions you have come to about T/S parameters. Winisd will tell you what you need to know about what you are trying to do. Don't get too hung up on punchy bass from the sub, the upper bass should come from the door speakers. With proper sound deadening and enough power, the doors should have plenty of upper bass. I would look into DC, Fi, AA, and Soundqubed. They all have subs that won't bottom out.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

I dont have a computor for win isd but am looking to get one soon, as of now i am just working with my phone a jig saw and info from others builds as well as the ones ive done already. Im looking into door speakers too. Im looking at the audison apk 6.5,  jl c2 650 components and hertz hsk 165s. Do you guys have any recomdations for a set of components that have good midbass?     

What i have to work with as far as build right now is a 2017 mazda 3 hatchback, 5 cubic ft of trunk space, stock electrical, 1 run of zero gauge to sub amp, 1 run of what looks like 8 gauge to my jl400xd done by the shop. I have morel tempo ultra 6.5 components in front, polk audio db6.5s coaxials in rear doors. Speakers set at 90, sub set at 120. I am currently running an old svc dd500 12 in a 2.5 cubic foot box made for a jl w6 12 off of a memphis 1500bd getting about 600 watts at 4 ohms and it sounds very good. I have 2 dd 15 inch 600 series coming from dd right but i just checked the air space they needs and i can only run one which should be fine since it can take up to 1800 watts max. Fs 32 qts 6.8 xmax 13.

So your saying i should build a box tuned to 20 hz for the 15 inch dd sub if i dont want to unload the sub with 1000-1500 watts playing the decafed version of big kirt my sub which has been slowed to where the bass hits down to 20 hz?

I had a listen to a jl w6 10 tuned to 30 hz in my car and it didnt have enough upper bass tone so thats what leads me to think i need a higher qts with 36-38. Box tune. ill build the box with pvc ports so i can expeiriment with the tune at 25 and at 38. 

I was curious about wether or not i should do a bandpass of some type because to get two peaks would in a sense be easier with these enclousers, lets say 25 hz vented section 36-40 hz other sealed / vented section? 1 15,  1 12, 2 10s, 2-3 8s 

I was also considering sealed with 3 12s or 2 15s but ive never delt with sealed boxes

On 11/18/2017 at 4:07 PM, Jake the snake said:

Your definatly got it right. My interest in the smaller subs is the quickness of the driver due to its decreased mass due to over size difference between an 8 and 12. I was ready to get the 15 inch version of the p3 but moving from a 10 to 12 inch i noticed some differences that i didnt like. The higher notes were no where near as defined and i felt as if the mass of the driver was hindering qts performance even though the new 12 only had at most a .3 qts difference being 4.7, the p3 is 5.0. I also have the new 12 which is a morel primo 12 in a box designed for a jl w6 12 so the box is not made specifically for the primo. Now the other thought on the cause of the horrible sound was that it was unloading. at the time i didnt know the p3s even according to rockford wouldnt go below 28 at or above rated power. I had two d2 10s and im not sure what impedence load i ended up wiring them but i had only a 300-500 watt amp powering both of them and at close to max undistorted volume unloading would happen. I play a lot of slowed music so there are plety of songs that are going under 30 also. I am definatly looking in the lower power range of subs as well because my current daily driver has no ho alt option and it might never because its a mazda and the indistry isnt interested in mazda because they make it hard for installers to do anything to get the system right. Im not sure what the port length width or height was for the box with the p3 and i also dont have the p3s anymore because i sold them to upgrade to 2 american bass xr 12s and a cresendo 2000. I now have sold both amp and subs because i didnt like the low qts and 35 fs of the xr 12s and the new car cant handle 2500 watts for more than 2 songs close to max volume. 2500 becaise i have a jl 400/4xd under front passanger seat. I will try to include a picture from where i bought the box. I do know internal volume was 1.5 for each 10 inch p3.

Screenshot_2017-11-18-15-08-45.png

the size of the sub having affect of the transient response is a myth proven over and over again. well with properly built subs . i would search for the posts and videos of it but to damn lazy..  plus watching all these video and reading these posts make me sad that i cant do anything at the moment lol 

• 5 weeks later...

so ive come to my conclusion regardless of what othere people have told me because what im trying to explain to people there just not getting. So now i have purchased my p3 15s for a cool 250$ for 2 with a temporary box and its being powered by a rockford prime 1200. i will be building my own. I have started to seek out other drivers with slightly different peramitors close to what this old dd 500 12 has. Fs of 32 qts of like 6.5-6.8. Im thinkin maybe 30 fs with 6 qts or a lower fs or 24-28 with a qts between 5-6. Ive found plenty of subs from asendant audio, like the chaos series 15, some from incriminator audio and im really liking the videos from bassman1439 of his ssa evil 15s but id only get 2-4 15s not 8 like his crazy ass.  I still feel like i want tens and not 15s but it is either difficult to get these peramitors in a ten or no one is currently making them or i just havent found one yet. Let me know what ya guys think.

Archived