Second Skin Audio

Each voice coil reading different numbers

akuma4u

I got a d2 sub. One coil is reading a steady 1.9. The other is reading 2.5..is this normal?

When wired up to 1 ohm they read 1.8...

Im pretty sure the one vc is going or slightly damaged and thus reading higher and causing the final ohm when wired to read 1.8 instead of 1..

Also when playing music the bass will be strong and full for a second then the next half second will be weak then strong again..the bass is not steady and strong but inconsistent...

one coil is either damaged or when they were building the coil they did something wrong either way one coil is getting more power than the other making the cone not move in a linear fashion possibly causing the coil to rub and destroy its self one day..... ive seen this on 2 subs in my time.... one was an American bass 15" where one coil read 2 and the other jumped all over the place "1-8 ohm" and the other was a dc XL where one read 2 ohm and the other was 4 ohm needless to say neither sub made it over 3 months of constant abuse so be careful if you cant get it replaced.... since seeing this the first thing I do before hooking up a new sub is check the coils with a DMM

As i did not check the vc when i bought it i have no idea if they were always reading this way or if tthat ine vc got damaged and started reading a lil higher later on due to misuse or clipping etc...obvioualy this is important when it comes to warranty coverage..i guess i gotta pay for it myself..oh wells..

But jist to confirm..one coil reading 1.9 and the other 2.5 on a d2 sub is def not normal and will cause issues? Or is 2.5 close enough and i shoildnt be worried?

1.8 and 2.5 is too big of a tolerance for me too turn a blind eye. Any sub I have ever seen is either dead on the same, or within 0.2 ohm of the other coil. Also, whatever you are measuring the coils will (DMM or whatever) set it to check resistance, and put the probes together and remember that number. Once you test the speakers coils (MAKE SURE NOTHING and I mean NOTHING is moving the cone like wind blowing or loud noises) take that ohm value and subtract the number from when the probes were touched together for your true ohm load.

ex. DMM with probes shorted (red probe touched to black probe) reads 0.2 ohm. DMM with probes in a subwoofer coil read 1.3 ohm. 1.3 - 0.2 = 1.1 ohm, and this would be normal for a 1 ohm coil sub.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Thank you very much for that..i will do that once i pull the sub out again. Never thought of doing that before. However i did retest each coil like 5 to 10x each the latter being on the suspected damaged side and the numbers were always the same 1.9 on one coil and 2.5 on bad one..

99% sure this sub def needs reconing

What confuses me is this. If i do the method you are recommending and lets say its .3 when the leads touch. That means now coil 1 will read 1.6 and coil 2 will be 2.2.. Now i know when coils ohms go higher its a bad sign but in this case coil 1 went lower so does that also indicate damage? And now this would make coil 2 the good one?

1 hour ago, Wishuponasub said:

I Think a lot of D2 coils actually read 1.7.

Some D2 subs are actually 1.4, some D1 are 0.7, just depends on the coil (generally you can tell by brand if they will be actually 2/1 or 1.4/0.7)

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/

Well..coincidentally just as i said it turned out both prongs touching is 0.3 resistance. So final ohm load on a sundown zv3 12 d2 is coil 1: 1.6 coil 2: 2.2

Coil 2 seems damaged

You did mention you can tell which brand it is from the ohm reading..so for sundown d2s..what do their coils read? 

Thanks

20 minutes ago, akuma4u said:

Well..coincidentally just as i said it turned out both prongs touching is 0.3 resistance. So final ohm load on a sundown zv3 12 d2 is coil 1: 1.6 coil 2: 2.2

Coil 2 seems damaged

You did mention you can tell which brand it is from the ohm reading..so for sundown d2s..what do their coils read? 

Thanks

As in certain companies use a coil that even though is rated dual 2, will be a dual 1.4. But sundown it not one of them, their dual 2's will read 1.8-2.2 ohms. I personally would shoot whoever you bought them from a message and see if you can get a swap or get your name taken down for warranty if it causes a failure, they know it wasnt your fault. Like I said, I personally wouldnt be happy with coils that read that far apart.

Same, i wouldnt care at all for coils that read half a ohm off from each other. Not at all. And yes, some companys have DCR that is a bit different. That said, they still read/match each other. Yours dont, and me personally, wouldnt like that at all. Recone time. IMHO

Archived