hdc4 are zv5 what am i missing here ?

zwas gonna buy a better 15 than what i have now . seems the hdc4 is a bettter sub on paper more cone area more x max bigger coil direct leads and a shorter mounting depth . both should play low great i just think the hdc4 will do it louder mostly bec of more xmax an cone area an better power handling . lmk what you guys think ...pls dont just say sundown bec ur a nut hugger look at the specs pls.  also the hdc4 is way cheaper . i figured the zv4 had about the same specs as the zv5 

Im trying to say this as nicely as possible, but the Zv5 is a MUCH  better sub than the HDC4... and I am going to explain why.

The HDC4 *may* have more effective cone area, but not enough of a difference to matter. At all. Ill touch more on this later.

In your post, you mentioned something about the HDC4 having more xmax. The HDC4 has 20mm of one way xmax while the Zv5 has 35mm of xmax. So the Zv5 has 75% more. Almost double.

Now that we've briefly discussed the cone area and xmax, lets multiply those to find volumetric displacement. This correlates to how much air can be displaced. Guess who wins here :)

Lets move on to the coil now. The coil used in the Zv5 is a LONG 8 layer aluminum 3" diameter coil that has a black resin on it for high temp. Its been a while, but I am almost positive that the coil is well over 2.5" long. I have experience with this same exact coil in my NSv3 on 2 3800s. The HDC4 has a 4" aluminum coil, which sounds cool. But its only 2 1/8" long. The HDC4 does have black resin too though. On the formers. Lol.

Next, lets take a look at moving mass, which is the combined weight of the softies. Here, you generally want less. But there may be not-so-good reasons as to why a sub actually has less. Ill let you use your imagination. Anywho, the Zv5 has 10% more moving mass.

One last thing I want to touch on is the versatility. The Zv5 works well in 4ths, 6ths, and ported apps. The HDC4 though, is suited for 6ths or ported. I have friends who've done tested, then switched. But theyve done testing. The EBP and QTS reflect this as well. 

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

1 hour ago, hdorre said:

blablabla

Take your science and shit outta here and just tell him what can be heard from the farthest away

HDC4 is a great sub for the money, heavy hitter for those on a tighter budget, but the Zv5 is on another level above the HDC4. 

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

I would model it on Winisd for your application to see which is better for what you want to do. 

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Archived