Sundown Audio

Amp issue - simple fix or bigger problem? video included

akuma4u

I got a bc2000, there is a video that im attaching but i will also describe the situation. First noticed the issue with my bass knob. when it was all the way off and i would move it a few mm up, the bass would suddenly come on full blast then as i moved it would turn back low.. i thought it was a faulty bass knob or bass knob wire so i got a replacement wire but that did not fix the issue. I then started troubleshooting more and found out the actual gain dial on the amp had an issue. As i turned it up the bass would cut out completely and not come back on until i tapped or wiggled the dial.. almost as if there is a short or something. You can see what i mean in the video.. what im afraid of is that its an issue with voltage regulator or something bigger and more costlier. On a side note the amp also doesnt sound like 2000rms it sounds more like 1000rms. I did take this bc2000 out and swapped it with a hifonics brx2400 and wow it was a night and day difference and it sounds so so much better now. So something def is up with that bc2000.. even when i get the bass to come back on, it still doesnt sound as good or clean as the 250 dollar hifonics.. anyways,. what do u guys think? heres the vid

The gain pod/potentiometer appears to be shot, most likely from jabbing a screw driver in there too hard or just being rough with it. 

Its a simple fix, but you got to pull the entire board out to replace it due to it being soldered on from the back side. That involves removing all the spring clips that hold the mosfets to the heatsink without damaging them or the mosfets. They are a pita to get off, and a bigger pita to get back on.

1 hour ago, akuma4u said:

im very gentle with the screwdriver so not sure how this happened..but good to hear its just the dial and nothing bigger..

It is what it is, doesn't matter, somewhere along the line it probably got damaged. Is the amp used (you the second owner)? Regardless, it needs to be sent in, I adored my bc2k's when I had 2 in my truck.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

When I say jamming Im not meaning like thrusting it in as deep as it goes, but just being rougher on it, or too much pressure. Sometimes it dont take much!

I remember seeing someone making little plastic 3d printed screw drivers for doing gains, but really no matter what you use you can damage them if not careful. 
Like using your leatherman or gerber tool you had in your hand could easily damage them just because how ackward you hold them things in your hand and then your trying to adjust the settings.

Some of them dials wear out hella easily, the older style pods that use to be used on older rf and orion amps and probably even others where even more sensitive.

we use GC radio alignment tools for adjusting pots in my shop on the ship. basically a straw with a driver tucked in a little ways that way you enclose the pot while adjusting. you can probably find a small set on amazon or ebay or some other retailer.

Archived