Second Skin Audio

Port design question

In regards to the image, here is my design for 2 warden 21" subs. Box is about 17.5 cubes total after displacement and some bracing. Port will be about 12" wide by 22.5" (internal dimensions) long about 33hz tuning (270" port area).

So my question is, I can leave the spot underneath the port without a separator wall, or I can add a separator shown on the right. Aside from adding bracing to the box, would it lower port tuning a little? (in the thought of the air will hit the divider and move up, as if adding some port length?)

If the subs allow I may make the port slightly longer, but tuning would max go to 31hz even if i add 6 inches internally to the port. So I dont think I will extend it if the box allows. The port will be pretty close to both woofers.

I intuitively don't think it'll affect port tuning, but would it cause any issues adding the separator almost up to the port?

Or if anyone has some input on changing where the port goes. The sides are very close to the vehicle walls so a port to the side may not be the best. And there isnt room to port forward.

test.thumb.JPG.99260bf0b5ed7bc2046f8048385080af.JPG

Bout to put in 2 21" Wardens on a taramps 8K

it shouldnt lower tuning, but i could see it having some affect on the drivers since they wont be sharing as much air, personally i wouldnt use it, i would either make the port itself longer, making sure it is always at least the width of the port distance from the other side of the box, or else youll choke the port, or just leave it like the first picture. also, is this just going to be a massive box that slides in a vehicle? must be hard to have 2 21" subs and not build a wall.

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

yeah its just gonna slide in. Walling seems to be a little harder, and more expensive. This design would let me mount a battery on top of the box and the amp (with dampener). This will also let me look out the rearview too. (I dont have anywhere else to put the battery inside the cabin and keeping the front seats usable.

Thanks for the input. :)

I would go without the divider. I would also figure out a way to brace those port panels as they are pretty big. You could do a brace inside the port itself or maybe something on the outside of the port itself, kinda like shelf bracing (but not quite)

I'd leave the divider in, but skeletonize it and round over all the edges really well.  I think the value it would provide for bracing will be beneficial.  

FYI, having your port share two common walls with the rest of the enclosure will effect your tuning frequency, just something to keep in mind if you haven't accounted for it already.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I did account for it sharing 2 common walls.

^(I mean since the port is the width of the box, it doubles as bracing and the divider would as well.)

I plan on adding bracing on the back of the box to the left side,right side, top and ports. not much room to brace front to bottom aside from basically a divider or cut out/hollow brace in place of the divider.

Archived