Help with head unit please!

Hello i recently purchased a Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS Head unit. And I wired it according to Metra’s wiring harness. I have the power red wire connected to the 12v ignition wire (red to red) and the memory wire connected to the yellow (yellow to yellow) for some reason when I turn off my car, my head unit stays on. I’m fairly new at wiring and installing head units so I’m kind of confused as to why my head unit will not turn off when I turn off the ignition. Is it possible for the head unit to be getting power from elsewhere? Or is it as well possible that the Metra wiring harness has a few wires turned around wrong? Or can something be wrong with the car? I know with the factory head unit, no problems occurred. Sorry for all the questions but I’m just confused. I’m installing it into a 2016 Kia Soul. I’m hoping someone here can help me diagnose my problem. TIA

does it turn off when you open your door? how do you know the red wire you connected it to is an ignition wire? did you check the voltage on that wire with the car off before you wired it?

2 hours ago, reedal said:

does it turn off when you open your door? how do you know the red wire you connected it to is an ignition wire? did you check the voltage on that wire with the car off before you wired it?

Tried opening and closing the door, then waited in the car to see if it would eventually shut off and it did not. I didn’t check the connections yet I was going off of what it said on the back of the Metra wiring harness. And on the wire itself it’s labeled “12v ignition”

If its staying on, that probably means u have ur headunits “switched/ignition” wire, connected to ur vehicles constant wire(power wire straight to battery). Just following colors wont always work. You have to find the vehicles factory wiring diagram to identify what each wire does. Then you can go according to ur vehicle diagram and connect the harness to the correct wires based on its function, not based on the color of wire. 

Okay so I fixed the first issue by switching the power wire and memory wire around. Now it shuts down when I turn the ignition off. But now I ran into another problem. The head unit is remembering all the stations I set into it, but everytime I turn the car on I have to re do the language setting and time. Anyone know why? Is it because I switched the memory wire around? And demo mode keeps switching on. I don’t know how to stop it from turning on

10 hours ago, 06RTCharger said:

Google search for ur vehicles oem wiring diagram, pretty sure you’ll find ur vehicle manual 

Okay so I fixed the first issue by switching the power wire and memory wire around. Now it shuts down when I turn the ignition off. But now I ran into another problem. The head unit is remembering all the stations I set into it, but everytime I turn the car on I have to re do the language setting and time. Anyone know why? Is it because I switched the memory wire around? And demo mode keeps switching on. I don’t know how to stop it from turning on

when you had it wired originally, red-red, yellow-yellow, were those wires heat shrinked/protected from coming into contact with each other? it seems that your red (currently connected to the HU's yellow 12v constant) is the ignition wire, which is why your HU is not saving time/language, etc. the only reason it wouldn't have been working as an ignition when it was red-red/yellow-yellow would be that those wires were contacting each other previously.

1 hour ago, ahermanowicz said:

Did u find ur cars wiring manual? You need to figure out what wire in ur car does what. A memory wire gets connected to a wire that is going straight to ur battery(constant 12v power). If you disconnect ur battery you might lose saved settings too, like for vehicle maintenance or something.

Archived