Second Skin Audio

How to tell the difference between an sa 12 rev 2 vs rev 3

akuma4u

I picked up an sa 12 d4 and neither the seller nor I can tell if its a rev 2 or rev 3. Id like to know what are the markings or signs that its a rev 3 or a rev 2 so i can know which revision i just bought. Ive tried seeing if i can find this info myself by looking at pics online but have not been able to precisely figure out the differences

Seen this post by Sundownz

The changes have not been major -- but this is the SA series history :

2009 - First SA-12s released : 4-spoke frame with 4 vent holes

1st revision - Triple joint rings added : 4-spoke frame with 12 vent holes

2nd revision - Magnet boot added

3rd revision - Pole cap size and shape change : custom tooled ventilation ring added and frame vents removed

Each vent change increased thermal handling a bit -- but they have always handed a ton of power.

The SAZ-2500D is probably over twice as powerful as the two Crunch amps combined in reality -- so that is probably most of it :drink40:

--

Now on the SA-8s we made a big improvement with the bolted on spiders starting on the second run -- the first run were just glued on and at higher than rated power could be popped off the basket. 

With the other sizes this never happened but we added the extra epoxy later on anyway.

Yes it has a chrome magnet top and bottom plate.. the top plate was rusted however i guess due to moisture from the cold winters etc.. it wiped off easily but concerning still. I guess the rev 2s has a black top and bottom plate?

i will be using this sa 12 as a back up sub while my zv3 gets reconed with spl cone and zv4 , zv5 and x series parts.

will the sa 12 work in my zv3 box which is 1.85 cf tuned to 35 hz with 26sq in of port?

thanks audiofanaticz, you have lately answered many of my posts and questions.

Maybe the chrome magnet came out on rev 2 but for some reason that feels like that was new on the rev 3. I forget its been so long.

Either way cosmetically you wont be able to really tell unless you tear it down to recone and look at the pole piece. The rev 2s and 3s can be used together with no issues.
I do know the XL style leads also came out with the rev 2 so thats no way to compare either. Id just run it and forget about it.

and for the record, sundowns site pictures of the 12 is the rev 2 if you actually look at the link, woofersetc is using a rev 2 picture, ssa is using a rev 2 picture as well. So its going to be hard to compare pictures from sites when they are all using the same picture. lol

Archived