best port design spl competition

Yllwbnna

Hello all,

have a question about spl ports. I've been in this business for 22 years and have done and built some cool cars but one thing I never dabbled in is spl competition. I have a customer who is starting the process to turn his 99 tahoe into a spl truck. I am currently starting the box. he wants a wall for 8 sd sa12 but may be moving to the Xv.2 12. my question is what type of port is best. he want on of those huge walkin ports but I have no experience in building those. would that be a better port to build verses the norm recommend ports from the manufactures. Thanks for any and all help.

Having the right amount of port area for the amount of power that going to be used and implementing the port well are a lot more important than what style of port is used.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

9 minutes ago, Yllwbnna said:

Ok just talked with the owner. he will be using 8 sundown sa12 and 1 sundown scv-7500d amplifier.

OK, so assuming the net volume ends up around 16 cu ft and the tuning around 32 hz you would want ~240 sq in of port area. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

59 minutes ago, Yllwbnna said:

ok cool. what about the length and are there any tricks or tips to maximize the output. Thanks for all your advice

The length is going to depend on what tuning frequency you end up wanting to go with and how the port is implemented within the box.  

As far as tips, the thing to keep in mind is that around tuning almost the sound energy is coming out of the port.  That sound energy is coming out in the form of air movement.  Everything you can do to allow that air to move into and out of the port as easily and smoothly as possible is going to be beneficial.  Things like rounding over the ends of the port, making sure everything is smooth, etc.  

Builds:

Archived