Second Skin Audio

I was told that 1 sa12 at 1 ohm would be louder than 2 sa12s at 2 ohms

Caddix

Hey everyone. I have a 06 dakota quadcab that is stripped from the back of the front seats back. Strictly forcar audio purposes though. Anyways, i did that so I wouldnt have a limit on the size of box i was making. So, i bought 2 sundown sa12s and didnt realize they were 2ohms till it was too late. So i made butter out of lemons or whatever. Since i couldnt run them the way i wanted to at one ohm, cause of funding for a better amp. I just wired them in series/parellel at 2 ohms to my 1200.1 pg amp. Ive been fine with it till recently when someone told me that with the right box, one sundown sa12 at 1 ohm will hit harder than 2 sa12s at 2 ohms. Fyi mine are 750 watts rms dvc 2ohm blah. So, hair up my ankle, I went and bought a sundown sae-1500 to power my single sub venture. Honestly i built my last box for my sa's which was my first box i ever made. Its an amazing box, 5.5 ft^3 @28hz airtight, except for the port, it made them go boom so hard, popped out my rear window. K, I blew many brain cells building it, it was a horrible headache, i dont regret it, just wish i wouldve asked for help/ advice when building it. So here i am, asking you car audio kings for any kind of help or advice you could spare on how to build this. I need the loudest boom possible for an sa12 2ohm dvc ran to one ohm from a sae-1500. Port side, sub up i reckon? 2+ft^3 @ 35 hz? My dream scenario is someone gives me a cutlist and says good luck with maybe some friendly advice would be amazing. If anyone could or would gimme a hand, ill give all my high 5s next year to charity. Thanks for your time fellas

So the subs are dual 2 ohm each? Did I get this right? If so, you could use both of them on the sae-1500 in your current box wired to .5 ohm. There's no way one sa12 would be louder than 2 of them, unless you give the one a shit ton more power than the 2, or have a high tuned spl/burp enclosure (the "right" box), which I assume you're not into, seeing as your current box is tuned @ 28 hz (which means you wanna listen to music not test tones). If you have good electrical .5 ohm should work.

In theory, two subs on half power would be equal to one sub on full power.  In practice the two subs will probably be slightly louder due to less power compression, etc. 

In your situation, I'd just wire the two subs to .5 ohm and make sure your gains are set properly.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Wire down.  Sub-ohm for the win.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

agreed with averyone, that sundown amp will take .5 ohm nominal all day and love it. just make sure your gain and everything is set correctly. clipping is your systems worst enemy when wired down. power draw goes through the roof and power doesnt.

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

you guys here you guys here are awesome. I never would have thought about that, well because I'm not that smart but other than that thank you guys for your responses could somebody elaborate and tell me how to set my gains properly cuz usually I set my gains by dmm.  I'll figure out how to wire them to a point five I just want to make sure I don't clip the hell out of them

4 decibels. My DB meter went up four decibels after I changed it and tuned it at half an OHM.  thank you guys so much I don't know if I have a 10 properly I have my gain set at about 55 and I have my subsonic and Milo filter pretty low maybe not even a quarter of the way up and my bass boost is off and this is as loud it is my stereo has ever been ever. I have an Alpine deck and I use the Alpine tuneit app and plus I have a rooted phone so I have viper4android also tuning it so I have all these ways to tune it and I'm thinking I should get rid of one of them but viper4android Tunes it's so good and has so many different settings I would want to get rid of that so I just put my Alpine deck I put everything there at flat no boost no nothing and I tune it with my viper4android which does a hell of a job

43 minutes ago, Vice03 said:

I guess I guess I don't realize how important the gayness I use my multimeter to set it and it set at 77.45 volts. And that was a 55 out of 100 period when I had it set it to Holmes I had it my gain up to about 65 and it ran fine so somebody needs to explain to me what I'm doing wrong if I'm doing something wrong cuz I would hate to a mess up my equipment

if you don't realize if you don't realize what I mean by having my gain set 55, I mean that all the way it would be a hundred all the way down to zero I have it a little bit over half way I thought I should explain that in case you didn't understand because you said it means nothing Vice

Archived